Algae with good parameters

jahel318

Reefing newb
I keep growing nuisance algae on sand/glass. Some of it is cyano and some of it is green/brown algae. I feed a pinch once per day (5 fish total). My LED's are on approx 6 hrs per day. My parameters are constantly:
SG 1.023
pH 8.2
alkalinity 10 dKH
Ammonia-undetectable
Nitrite-undetectable
Nitrate <1.0ppm
phosphate <0.2ppm

I'm getting some chaeto today from a local reefer. Anything else I should try besides the chaeto?

If you have a good ammount of algae there is a good chance your nitrate and phosphate lvls are actually higher.

Chaeto is great but it will take a while to get the nitrates down, if you are feeding flake or pellets I would look into some frozen food instead, the flake can have quite a bit of phosphates which can add to an algae problem.

I have a sandsifting star, tonga snails, & dwarf zebra hemit crabs. For flow I have two 550 Hydor Koralia water pumps angled facing each other diagonally towards the water surface to create small waves

Last edited:
I'd get yourself a few more types of snails to diversify your clean up crew - trochus, astraea, turbo, nerite, cerith. I'd aim to add about 50 more snails total. They should keep your green algae in control. For the cyano, I'd increase flow to the areas where you are seeing it grow. Its toxic, so most snails wont eat it, but if your parameters are really as good as they appear then it should clear up with the switch to frozen food and increased flow. If it doesn't, then post a picture of it so we can verify that it is indeed cyano!

Do you think if I get a Vortech MP10 wavemaker it could help with the issue? Anyone own one? If so, what are your thoughts/comments? I'm kinda scoping them out right now

Last edited:
Do you think if I get a Vortech MP10 wavemaker it could help with the issue? Anyone own one? If so, what are your thoughts/comments? I'm kinda scoping them out right now

It's not going to help with the algae since you already have good flow. It's worth getting for other reasons, IMO. Just don't count on it to solve an algae problem.

Do you run carbon? It removes dissolved organic compounds and that's something we can't test for. High DOC's can fuel algae growth.

Yeap...I do run carbon

Attachments

• DSC02214.JPG
    DSC02214.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC02215.jpg
    DSC02215.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 277

I'd prefer to spend the money on hydor koralias since you can aim them at different spots in the tank (the mp10 isn't on a swivel head and you can't shift its position). BUT first I'd add more snails. You just don't have enough algae eating critters in your clean up crew IMO. Start there and see if that helps!

Back