Algae

hoopsdaddy

This is my reef club....
What could be the cause of some green/brown algea I am starting to see in my tank.
PH 8.3
Ammo-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
phos-.5ppm
cal-390
KH-180
GH-10
Sal-1.023
silicate-0

Could it be not enough flow??? Only turning the tank over 12 times an hour. Have 2 more K-4's ordered.
I am at a loss. This is the best my tank numbers have ever looked.
Any help would be appreciated.

Most likely your phosphates are to high. I saw that you tested for them, but phosphate test kits are garbage. If you do have phosphates your algae is consuming it.. So your test will be 0 (or close to it)

Flow wouldnt really explain anything. 12x sounds good for most softies/lps tanks. (a little more for LPS would be good though)

Your sig sais you have a fuge. What are you running in there, and how much for your 165? I leave about 2 gallons of chaeto in my fuge and leave it to grow back.. Otherwise theres just not enouph. I would just recommend getting a 3 lil fishies (or whatever it is) reactor, or just make one and run some phosguard in it.

Oh and I forgot to add that there are even some types of phosphates in your system you cant evn test for.

Gotta go along with the crowd.
Phosphates kits you buy at the LFS only read inorganic phosphates.Which comes from tap water.They dont pick up the organic phosphates that come from fish and coral waste.

Back