aliens?

fishbait

I found Nemo
i noticed tonite there are several small green cocoon like things on my live rock. they are not much bigger than the head of a straight pen. has anyone seen these before? or has my tank been taken over by aliens that are growing in my tank. only to hatch and take over our world!:^:

they were not the algae bubble. i had won of those a few days ago. it was about the size of a pea. these are very tiny. yote's description may be right. ive never seen a Q-tip sponge before, but they are shaped like a Q-tip.

i do have a concerning problem this morning. i turned no my lights around 10a.m. and the water was crystal clear. i was watching t.v. for 10 or 15 minutes and when i looked back to my tank it was very murky. it's been about an hour and a half, and it's starting to clear up a little. this has never happened before. the only thing i noticed kinda different is that my anemone was all shriveled up. will they cloud the water up when they poop? ive only had him for a week. so i'm not shure what's normal yet.

Check your amonia and nitrites, you could be seeing a bacteria bloom from a mini cycle I just seen one of these. It lasted a few days after I cleaned my filter, I think I killed too much good bacteria when I did it.

:frustrat: i checked all my parameters. no amonia or nitrites. nitrates are less than 5 ppm. will a sudden green algae bloom cloud the water? i just cleaned the collection cup on the protein skimmer last night. today it has a lot of green colored waste in it. it's normally dark brown. and the water is slowly but surely clearing back up. maybe i need to but activated charcoal back in my filter? i have only used charcoal for a couple days, for the fear of removing to many trace elements.

I would purchase a bottle of marine clarifier and put the filtration padding back in and see it that does the trick without the pads your not catching particles your leaving them in a limbo hope this helps.

i have been running the floss pads in my canister filter. just not the charcoal. i put it in and so far so good. it only clouded up for two days. and it hasnt done it again since i put the charcoal back. the algae on the back glass has been thinning out quite a lot. i also added 3 hermit crabs to help out.

keep carbon in your tank. It truly helps keep the water crystal clear, so does your UV sterilizer. If you are concerned about killing good bacteria, you can buy a packet of reef starter bacteria (not sure what the name is) from your LFS that they keep in the fridge. That will add enough good bacteria to keep your tank happy.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

i have finally found out what the aliens are. they are a macro algae called neomeris. it's supposed to be good a reducing nitrates. too bad a only have a few of them.

Back