Alkalinity

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I've been having low Alk for awhile now. I've done water changes thinking that would correct it or at least rise it a little.
So to try and figure it out I tested my water three times a day everyday for a week. These test were done when lights first came on,middle of light cycle,and just before lights went out.

PH- Stayed between 8.0-8.3 (Hate them color charts) Plan on getting
something better in the future.
Alk- 1.8-2.0 I would say it stayed more at 1.8

Calcium- Stable 440

Magnesium- 1200

Nitrates- 0
nitrites-0
Amm-0
Temp-79-80 (pretty stable)
Salinity- 1.025 (stable)

Seeing this has been going one for awhile I've tried baking soda. That didn't have a effect at all.
I tried dkh buffer no effect either.
Any ideas?

Does you test kit measure in DKH or MEG/L ?

1 meg/l corresponds to 2.8 DKH

Have you tried two-part?

What brand salt are you using?

Baking soda HAS to raise alkalinity. How much did you use and how did you dose it? You must mix the baking soda with fresh water before putting it in your tank. Check out this calculator to see how much you should add to raise it. Your mag is also low. Use the same calculator to raise it to about 1325.

It says I should add 6.3 tsp. But not to do it all at once. I added 2 tsp to a cup of freshwater twice in a day with no change. I did this for two days no change. I kept a eye on my PH because baking soda can lower that which it did a tad but not a whole lot to make a difference. I'm in the process of changing saltwater type but I want to use up the old with the new. Also my Alk is in meq/l.

If you bake the baking soda in the oven it removes what messed with the PH. After making it it becomes washing soda.

Right now I'm in the middle of a switch. Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals. My calcium is 440. Have no idea what two-part is.

Two part is an additive that comes in two bottles. One bottle to buffer Calcium and the other bottle buffers Alkalinity. You generally add the same amount of the two bottles, but you can adjust accordinally. I would suggest getting some two-part, this may help.

I've been trying to figure out why my Alk is so low. The only thing I added was my PhosBan reactor. Could this been the cause?

I've been trying to figure out why my Alk is so low. The only thing I added was my PhosBan reactor. Could this been the cause?

Well, what were your alkalinity levels before the Phos reactor? However, I doubt that was the cause.

Back