All parameters to test for..

soooo, is it "Mr. Right" you are looking for....or "Mr Right-Now"?

-Dr Marco :sfish:

ooo, good point. I don't want to give away my secret ways of controlling the human mind to those who are not ready.....mu-hu-hahahahahahaha (sinister laugh)

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

HEY HEY!! Can we get back on topic here, kids???

My alk test ranges from 1-1.6 (low), 1.7- 2.8 (Normal) and 2.9-3.6 (high). I usually test around 2.6. How does this relate to Dr. Marco's Alk - 10-14 ?

my best guess is between 9-10. I wish I could be more exact. I am not familiar with your test, I have only used Salifert. Sorry.

HEY HEY!! Can we get back on topic here, kids???

My alk test ranges from 1-1.6 (low), 1.7- 2.8 (Normal) and 2.9-3.6 (high). I usually test around 2.6. How does this relate to Dr. Marco's Alk - 10-14 ?

Convertion from one measurement to the other is obtained by multiplying meq/l or dividing dKH by the factor of 2.8.

let's see, what is that 9.2? If my math is right (which it is usually not). I say, dose it anyway, won't kill anything.

Way to go Piggy, how did you know that?

I remember reading it in the new coral book I got. Just had to look it up to be sure the number was right.

My approach to testing is changing a bit following an algae outbreak despite the fact Nitrates and Phosphates were showing zero in tests...
therefore:

When starting up a tank (and for the first few months) you need to monitor Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates to know if the early cycles have completed.

Once it is up-and-running, the tank will tell you if you have an issue with Nitrates &/or Phosphates (where tests will still show zero). This is because the tests can only detect the presence of these in the water - algae is capable of taking these out of the water => they are not detected. So what use is testing??? well if you see algae, you can at least tell if you have excess Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates or Phosphates, but the algae will show first. => I will test these periodically (1/mnth) or if I see algae start to increase.

On-going I feel it is important to maintain:
Alkalinity (the waters ability to hold stable pH)
pH
Calcium (particularly for corals)

Tests for elements such as Iodine can also be misleading, depending upon the type of iodine you use, for example Kent produce Tech-I which has a built-in slow release mechanism for iodine. Tests can not detect this unreleased iodine, so may lead you to add more when you don't need to etc...

Agree with temp and salinity (seen many posts by people who have topped up evaporation with salt water only to be surprised when high salinity has killed something in their tanks).

that's my :twocents:

Back