Am I done cycling?

reefkpr55

Reefing newb
Ok, I set up my tank with live sand and cured live rock. Put some shrimp in there. After a week there was no ammonia spike. I added a few hermit crabs and a couple snails. Still nothing. I'm only at week 3 but all my levels look good. Is it possible that it didn't really show a cycle because the sand and cured rock? I would love to pus a fish in there but I allways thought it would take longer to cycle. oh yeah, 29 gallon tank, 20lbs sand, 27 lbs of rock, 500gph circ pump, HOB filter till I can afford a skimmer.

hmmm id give it a couple of days just to be safe, it could have been that you had so much good bacteria on the rock and sand that it caused it to sppeed up but did you test ammonia nitrite and nitrates? if not i would test all three because it sounds fast to me, unless you got all that stuff transferring it from another tank like an upgrade or something

If you used all live rock that spend very little time out of the water, its highly possible you skipped a cycle. Id say you are safe to add your first fish. Good luck picking which one!

I tested for everything every day. I was probably testing more than I had to but I figured more is better. I addded my first fish today.
a lawnmower blenny. I'll continue to check daily just in case.

Back