an issue with ick ......

Darren&Candace

Reefing newb
hello all, since our issue with the 2 cardinals, we have gotten a Desjardin sailfin tang & a Regal tang and they are enjoying life like they have no cares in the world!! In addition to that, our LFS got in a few, very few, Maximus clams - so we picked one of those up. Maybe different where you guys are, but he said that may be the last of those they ever get into Canada, that the import rules are too ridiculous. Anyway, it is a beautiful clam and we are so happy to have one. But as it always seems, if its not one thing its another ...... our regal tang has a couple spots of ick, and because of the clam, putting a cleaner wrasse in the tank sounds like it could be risky. anyone else have dealt with this? or put a cleaner wrasse in with and just keep an eye on it with the clam .....
thanks

I have dealt with this before. Forget the cleaner wrasse, as they cannot actually remove the ich parasite itself. Here is what I would recommend. Make sure all of your water parameters are in check. Try to keep them eating- put nori, seaweed sheets, in a clip every day. Feed a high quality frozen or pellet food soaked with extra vitamins such as Vitachem or selcon. Many fish will get past ich, as long as they keep eating they have a really good chance. Good luck.

I have dealt with this before. Forget the cleaner wrasse, as they cannot actually remove the ich parasite itself. Here is what I would recommend. Make sure all of your water parameters are in check. Try to keep them eating- put nori, seaweed sheets, in a clip every day. Feed a high quality frozen or pellet food soaked with extra vitamins such as Vitachem or selcon. Many fish will get past ich, as long as they keep eating they have a really good chance. Good luck.

Thanks Steve,
He eats fantastic, kinda like a 16 year old boy at buffet world!! ... Will keep an eye on him and fingers crossed.

I agree totally with Steve, had an outbreak of ick on a new baby blue tang that passed onto 3 other fish in the tank. Was advised to do the same as above and within 10 days all clear, happy and healthy.
I am aware that the ich will now be living in my tank and rear its ugly head again if any of the fish are stressed so we make sure we keep a very calm and happy tank. Good luck hope it all works out for you.

Back