and just to think ......

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
man , i feel like I jinx everyone, rigo had some trouble, yote had some trouble, now bobby had some trouble... SORRY GUYS !!!!
and to think Im still here trying to figure the whole saltwater hobby out....

i guess im doing everything right.. but still doesn't seem that way.
my water tests have been right on, but yet my clown is still not eating and I'm not even sure how he is still alive. i now HAVE BROWN ALGEA EVERYWHERE. which I guess was to be expected... but noy only that i have this slight cloudyness to the tank now?????? i dont know???

The guy at the local store said everything looks good as far as my water. everythink he said... PH,AMMONIA,NITRITE,NITRATE,SILICATES,PHOSPHATES
EVERYTHING.
HE EVEN SAID MAYBE ADDING A FISH TO SEE IF THAT MIGHT HELP THE CLOWN FISH. SO I THIKN THAT MIGHT BE THE NEXT STEP. IT WILL BE ALMOST A MONTH WITH THE CLOWN SO MY BIO-LOAD SHOULD BE OK. I THINK I MIGHT GO WITH SOME GREEN CHROMIS, MAYBE 3 . THEN WAIT ANOTHER MONTH TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS. I'LL KEEP DOING WATER CHANGES 2 TIMES A MONTH AND KEEP TESTING.

BUT FIRST I'M GOING TO DO WHAT EVERTONE KEEP SAYING....... ADDING A PROTEIN SKIMMER AND ABOUT 10 LBS OF CURED "REAL" LIVE ROCK ...

WISH ME LUCK !!!!!! THANKS EVERYONE !
RAY

The brwon stuff is probably diatoms, I had the or cyno not to sure for 2 or3 months but then one day it cleared up. Cyno and diatoms are very normal for a new tank. Just keep up with water changes, dont over feed, and feed frozen and your problem will clearup in time. I wouldnt add anything till it clears up, but I dont really think it will hurt them if you do. If there is a cloudyness in your tank run some carbon for a week and it will porbably clear up.
Dont worrie your not bringing any bad luck to me I have had problems with clowns for awhile now.

dont delay the protein skimmer...trust me.. it really makes a difference...try to get some cleanners...if they has a cheap rock or long spine urchin get it..that algae will be gone in a blink..

Rigo said it,invest in a good skimmer.I would go ahead and add cured live rock before adding anymore fish though.

Wait a sec,my Rasta Leather(Sinularia)died recently,you jinx me too!!
Just kidding bud....keep your head up,it will get better..good luck.

I Am Running Carbon In The Emperor And Also Algone To Control Ammonia, Nitrites And Nitrates. It Also Should Clear The Tank Up !

I have never heard of algone, but carbon has always worked for me on a new tank, thats the only time I have ever had cloadyness in my tank.

Another thing Ray,
You just changed filters too.So the bactria that had built up in the pads got tossed,So your probably having a little bit of a bloom going on.It'll go away.
The brown algae is probably diatomes,like Bobby done mentioned.
What your having now is perfectly normal for a new tank.
And im gonna 4th Rigo,Bobby,and Reef.I'd go ahead and invest in a good skimmer and some live rock.That'll go a long way in helpping your tank mature.

Ray,After looking at your pics,I think you got diatoms.They feed off silicates in the water and sand.There a normal part of a new system.I know there ugly as sin and all,but one morning you'll wake up and they'll be completely gone.

Every thing looks great BTW,including your temp.

i saw your pics ray...you defenetly need that protein skimmer..everyting looks ok..but the water is a bit cloudy..i had that problem before..there mus be some organic waste that must be controlled by the skimmer..also as yote said..live rock for bio filtration...kill someone if you have to for the skimmer...dont delay it anymore...youll see the difference!!!

WILL DO RIGO , THANKS FOR LOOKING !!!! SAVIN MY $$$$$ NOW FOR THE CORALINE 65 SKIMMER !!!! I'M NOT ADDING ANYTHING UNTIL I HAVE IT!! THEN I HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHERE TO PUT THE DARN THING lol

Ray you sure don't have much space on top for that skimmer.Yote has that skimmer,maybe he can chime in and tell if it fits.You may have to look at other skimmers instead,how about a sump first(10gal fishtank will do)then drop the skimmer,heater,filter etc. in that.

Reeffreak is right a sump is your best bet since there isnt a whloe lot of space on the back of your tank. The CSS skimmers are pretty big.

i agree with bobby and freak..you can havr your stuff in the sump...i know money is a issue..cause im in the same boat...have a list of other good skimmers..that way you can buy one that fits and makes the job..for a good price too...

I agree with em Ray.The CSS 65 is a pretty big skimmer.Unless you set up a sump,your gonna have trouble getting it on your tank with your emperor.

simply AMAZING is all i have to say !!!!!! guys "mator" is swimming around in the middle of the water column doing the clown dip !!!!! looking like nothing has been wrong!! plus he JUST ATE !!!!!! frozen food !!!! reef formula one and frozen brime shrimp!!!! AMAZING how hardy this fish is!!! Also, my water cleared up nicely, i added a filter media call chemi-pure, A friend i work with, his son recommended it , and over night completely cleared my water. now i dont know if this also made mator feel less stress but it worked!!!!
now onto the sump issue. I do have a 10 gallon tank, now what if i just add the 10 gallon in to the loop. keep the new emperor running and just use the ten gallon has an equiptment tank, (skimmer,heater, and return pump) with out the seperator baffles. the only thing on the tank would be the filter and the overflow. i dont know ??? let me know ???? if that it possible ????

Last edited:
If your running a overflow to the sump that will work just fine. Just make sure you get the flow right so your pumping the same as you pulling out of the tank. You'll be able to adjust flow with a ball valve or gate valve on the out flow. Glad to hear everything is going good.

What do you mean as a hold tank? A sump is basicly just a tank under a tank used to put equipment in and add top off water and chemicals.

Back