Anemome Question

khaotik

Reefing newb
So I was at the fish store today and they had a haitian reef anemone on sale. I have read that they are very hard to keep in a reef environment. My tanks been going for a few months and really dont have any corals in there yet. I do have about a half dollar size of polyps going. So how possible is it to keep this in my tank when i want to get more corals?

I do also have two red legged hermits which I read is a natural predator to this species. Can they not live in harmony?

Last edited:
This is from LA "The Haitian Reef Anemone moves around the tank and has a sting that can inflict grave damage to other anemones and corals. Do not include its natural predators such as the Red-Leg Hermit Crab. Unlike other anemones, the Haitian Reef Anemone does not have a relationship with any particular fish, and it is rare for any type of clownfish or damsel to reside within them."

Nems are some of the hardest animals to keep in this hobby. You need extremely strong lights and perfect water conditions. Even worse, if they die they can and will kill in your tank.

I wouldnt suggest a nem until your tank is at least a year old. After a year your tank is much more stable, and a much safer environment to keep a nem in.

So I was at the fish store today and they had a haitian reef anemone on sale. I have read that they are very hard to keep in a reef environment. My tanks been going for a few months and really dont have any corals in there yet. I do have about a half dollar size of polyps going. So how possible is it to keep this in my tank when i want to get more corals?

I do also have two red legged hermits which I read is a natural predator to this species. Can they not live in harmony?

Im sorry but I believe your tank to be too young for a nem. and a condy is a hard one to keep as it is and then you want to put it in with some reg leg hermits which will end up killing it. Then it could potentially wipe your tank and you will be back to square one.

Haitian Reef Anemone (Condylactis Sp.)

Condy's are your basic anem,
To keep an anem you need a few things, stability, both habit and habitat, finding a healthy condy seems to be an issue, be sure its healthy, eating, color, etc, if your really thinking of doing this you should ensure that its eating, ask the store to test their water then you match that in your tank, be sure your there when its collected, anems tear easily and removal can be deadly when done with impatience, honestly Id say wait 6 months and get your tank established, anems have no expiry date, accidents,predators and our own failure is their doom

Once your tank matures and if you still want to try an anemone, I would suggest either a rock or mini-maxi anemones. Both are considered reef safe and they're are some of the hardiest anemones you'll find.

Once your tank matures and if you still want to try an anemone, I would suggest either a rock or mini-maxi anemones. Both are considered reef safe and they're are some of the hardiest anemones you'll find.
+1 on the rock/flower anems, very overlooked specimens

Back