Anemone foot loss

Branden

Reefing newb
I was wondering if anyone knew the effects of an anemone losing its foot. I'm asking because
I have a flat yellow that got stuck in a wavemaker and to save it I had to cut the foot off. Now I'm wondering if I may have killed it trying to save it.

Hi Branden,

Please post a pic of your anemone. If you cut the foot off it is more than likely going to die. Generally, you want to cut the power head off and let it work its way out on its own. What kind of anemone is it? It was probably dyed the color yellow unless you have some kind of non-hosting species. They dye them yellow to make them pretty but this is very stressful to the anemone. It would of been a long, difficult road to bring it back to proper health especially if you don't have much experience with anemones.

It`s been my experience that if the foot is damaged there is no hope. Seen this on many friends that have aquariums. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You can put a small soft filter over the intake.

Sorry to say; cutting the foot off wasn't the way to go. That being said, I probably would have turned off the wave maker and then positioned a power head at it. This would have irritated it enough to make it relocate.

Back