anemone help

Anemones need a lot of light; more than most corals. If you do not have specialized lighting, it will die.

Anemones also need pristine water quality. If you have any nitrates, it will usually die.

Anemones usually only do well in mature, well-established tanks. I do not recommend that anyone get an anemone for a tank that is less than 10 months old, preferably a year.

Anemones are one of the most difficult animals to keep successfully in this hobby and so many people buy them when they have young tanks or insufficient lighting. When anemones get sick or die, they have the potential to poison and wipe out your entire tank and everything else living in it. They are NASTY when they go bad!

Of course, knowing what type of anemone you have will help greatly, as some species are easier to care for than others (i.e. bubble tips are considered the easiest, although they are still very very difficult to keep alive, wherease sebaes are usually considered near impossible to keep alive for anyone).

Biff is on the right track.I wouldnt recommend an anemone be kept under any thing less than 9 watts of light per gallon and great water quality.
From what you described,It sounds like yours is bleaching,which is usually from either not enough or the right spectrium of light,maybe both.But coould also be water quality.
Give us a run down of your params.

good luck. I kept my BTA alive for over 2 years but it was a fatality when I moved my tank. lame they are a pain, but very satisfying if you can keep them alive

-Doc

What kind of lights?

Are your bulbs due to be changed, if you don't change your bulbs on time, that could lead to coral and anemone deaths.

Metal halides,compact florescents,and VHOs should be changes every 8 to 9 months.T-5s every 18 months.
Post a pic of your lights and the bulbs.

Well what is the best kind of fluorescent to get then? I am really thinking about getting away from my anemones and going more to corals. So what is the best lighting for corals, and what would be the best for anemones? I don't plan on getting any high light corals.
Thanks for all of the help

Back