Anemone ID

delucs414

Reefing newb
hey everybody i have been wanting to get an anemone for my clowns to host in. i dont no a whole lot about about anemones but i am researching. a local reefer whose getting out of the hobby has one for sale for $25 but she didnt no what kind it was and was hoping someone here can help me ID it before buy it.

anenome.jpg

I would not buy that nem, a white nem like that means they are unhealthy and will need quite a bit of attention to get it back to health. It looks like very bleached bubble tip though.

But how good is your water quality, nems need pristine water conditions, with no parameter swings. They also need much higher lighting than standard corals. With metal halides and T5 lighting, you want around 6 watts per gallon. More if you have PC lighting. The major concern with nems, is that if they die they can nuke the whole tank from the toxins they release, so make sure you have the water quality and lighting to sustain one, and then start with a heathy one. Even the ones that are suppose to be white, are actually a pale brown/tan color.

lol well that totally scared me away from getting an anemone all together :shock:

maybe ill just wait longer and do some more research make sure everything is in check before i get one.

thanks little_fish:bowdown:

Good choice :) Get to know your enemy haha. Dont be too scared, I have three at the moment and have had 1 get stung by a hammer coral to death. (those things are mean) and one in the past walked into a powerhead on his first night and my tank did not nuke.

Just wait a while and figure it out properly :)

I agree with Hannah -- that looks like a bleached bubble tip. It'd take some work getting that anemone back into good health, but it can be done.

Hmmm, weird from one angle it looks like a bubbletip, but from another it looks more like a tube or an Atlantic long tentacle. Or is that just me?? Hahah :?

Are you sure that's the same anemone? Where is the long, skinny rock/sponge thing that it's on in the first pic?

I agree with Waddi, it looks like two different types!

hmm iunno lol theses are the pics she sent me. i will email her and see what she says. i will get back to you about what she says.

That second one looks like a bleached condylactis to me. Mine was bleached like that at first too and it came back just fine. I dont think they are as scary as everyone makes them out to be. I have 2 in my tank and I was scared at first because everyone says it will nuke your tank nuke your tank nuke your tank but I havent heard of anyone having that happen.

That second one looks like a bleached condylactis to me. Mine was bleached like that at first too and it came back just fine. I dont think they are as scary as everyone makes them out to be. I have 2 in my tank and I was scared at first because everyone says it will nuke your tank nuke your tank nuke your tank but I havent heard of anyone having that happen.

We've had 2 or 3 nem nuke threads on here just in the past 2 months. :)

Back