Anemone In A Reef Tank...

kimoy

CERTIFIED BUM
Hi everyone, I am new to saltwater but i have my freshwater for about 6 years now. i have a 2 month old 55 gal reef with approx. 70 lbs of live rock, 40 lbs of live sand, 2 percs(mated), 3 inch yellow tang, yellow watchman goby(which i am wondering where it is coz i haven't seen it for almost a week now), an 8 line wrasse, some hermits, some nassarius snails, about a dozen conch snails, and about 3-6 turbo snails(one is about 1 1/2 inch big now), i have a number of corals on it mostly LPS and SPS a leather, meat, goniapora, bubble, hammer heads, sun coral, mushrooms, xenia, hello fungia plate, and they are all doing excellent . my lighting is a coral life aqualite 50/50 10k actinic, it has 4 bulbs(2 blue and 2 white, all has 65w) on it and 4 moon glow.

my question is can i get an anemone that is not going to sting my corals? My LFS told me that(in fact they refuse to sell me) anemone is not good for a reef tank because it can sting corals and kill it. My 2 clowns are doin good but i noticed that they are not swimming together all the time and one is trying to host my plate coral. HELP!!!:question: :confused:

I wish I would have had a petstore like yours when i was starting out.

Yes they will move and sting your corals. They will also find there way to powerheads, overflows, etc. I lost two before I learned the hard way and almost crashed my entire tank when it got caught in my overflow. I suggest leaving the anemones in the ocean for the clownfish who need them for protection.

They should be nice and safe in your tank. Just my :twocents:

Brandon

Your system is fairly new and your bio load is moderate. with the residents you indicated you presently have I would not recommend adding an anemone.

The Rose Anemone is a highly prized, pinkish-reddish color form of the Bubble Anemone Entacmaea quadricolor. This is one the hardiest species of anemones in the aquarium, and generally thrives in any well-maintained reef aquarium.
REMEMBER anemones can expand and contract greatly!

remember that these animals can walk like a snail, so if it does not suite or like its location it can walk from one side of your tank to the other distructing anything in its path. ex. Hurricane Katrina hehe :)

DriFt KinG

Back