Anemone lighitng schedule ?

So I heard you can feed the anemones table shrimp from the grocery store.. The shrimp should be frozen when you give it to the nem right?

If you stick a frozen piece of shrimp on that anemone,your going to kill it.
The shrimp needs to be thawed and warmed to close to the same temp as your tank before you give it to the anemone.

I figured.

I tried to feed it a small piece, but after 30+ minutes it still had not eaten it all, and the clownfish\shrimp took it from him. Now the clownfish won't stop picking at\ messing with the nem. Is it ok or the clowns to pick at its tentacles??

the clowns pick on them but its not a bad thing, they are just taking care of it. My clwons constantly nib at the tenticles. Sometimes i see their mouth full of sand removing it from the anemone, keeping it clean.

The clowns cant really kill it, it's just letting them do their thing.

Oh an usually if the anemone cant eat the food without letting the clowns steal it, i dont think its a good sign, but it does take a while for it to adjust to your water and then when more stable, it will eat better. My anemone covers the food really quick and the clowns have no chance.

I've got two tank raised clowns, they're from different LFS's. The bigger one was showing a lot of interest in the nem last night after I was feeding it, and then tonight it has hosted it! She's sleeping in it right now (:

Pretty neat, cause I've heard the tank raised don't host often times, and neither of the clowns hosted my frogspawn, or torch corals.. so :) !

Kind of interesting that the bigger one is hosting it first though, because he was in a tank with a lot of little clown fish and no nem, or coral, so he had nothing to host. But the smaller one at the other LFS, was only with 3 other clowns, and he was hosting a nem.

In a tank with two clowns, the bigger one (the female) will be the dominant one and the smaller one (the male) will be submissive. Hopefully they will pair.

When i got my anemone, the smaller one hosted first but then the bigger came and kicked him out...many months later they are finally together. its really fun observing them.

Back