Anemone problem

dragonbysea

Reefing newb
the fish store told me that the Anemone that the it would feed of the minerals in the water... but it killed and ate a damsel.... will it need to eat fish?

most people feed them at least once a week with meaty foods. If your tank is still fairly new, it wasnt likely getting anything from the water and got hungry. Try feeding it silversides once or more a week and see how it goes.

ReefWannabe said:
most people feed them at least once a week with meaty foods. If your tank is still fairly new, it wasnt likely getting anything from the water and got hungry. Try feeding it silversides once or more a week and see how it goes.
it is new... sliversides are what? i am new to this still got a whole lot to learn...

anemone questions

I have had a lot of success with my bubble anemone. To answer your question, silversides are small fish, like smelt, but a bit smaller, that you can buy at the store in a frozen pack. They are favorite food for triggers, sharks, eels, angels, anything that likes meat - usually bigger fish.

I am not sure how old your tank is, but I would add a clownfish to your tank (there are several varieties) and let it worry about feeding your anemone. It will eat brine shrimp or mysis shrimp and they regurgitate some of it into the anemone. It is pretty cool to watch. My tomato clown will actually grab a silverside and bite it in half, then eat half and drop the other half in his host anemone. It is amazing. Hope this helps.

Marco :sfish:

I would refer you to the Helpful Articles forum and on page one there is an article named anemone primer, and then on page 3 is an article on feeding anemones. hope this helps, good luck.

Dr Marco said:
I have had a lot of success with my bubble anemone. To answer your question, silversides are small fish, like smelt, but a bit smaller, that you can buy at the store in a frozen pack. They are favorite food for triggers, sharks, eels, angels, anything that likes meat - usually bigger fish.

I am not sure how old your tank is, but I would add a clownfish to your tank (there are several varieties) and let it worry about feeding your anemone. It will eat brine shrimp or mysis shrimp and they regurgitate some of it into the anemone. It is pretty cool to watch. My tomato clown will actually grab a silverside and bite it in half, then eat half and drop the other half in his host anemone. It is amazing. Hope this helps.

Marco :sfish:
i have a tomato clown and it only goes by the Anemone(Haitian Reef Anemone) after i turn off the light... it hides behind the live rocks....the Anemone has eaten 2 of my Damsel fish....i will go and try the silversides... :fish: thanks for the info

Haitians or condies do not host any clowns.Your clown is emune to its sting.At least it did you favor and ate your damsel.You might wont to take that back to your LFS if not you better hope the fish smarten up and stay away from it.

minireefer said:
Haitians or condies do not host any clowns.Your clown is emune to its sting.At least it did you favor and ate your damsel.You might wont to take that back to your LFS if not you better hope the fish smarten up and stay away from it.
what wrong with damsel...lol the clown was hostin it for a short while...but moved to the back of the rocks when i turned on the light..

Bifferwine, in my defense, I found this on the home page under "recent threads"! My fault for not looking at the date of the last post! (no idea why it showed up there!) Coffeebean

Back