Anemone Question

Eric Noa

Reefing newb
Hello guys,

I have a question about Anemone's. Im not getting one for now but just want to know... How do you transfer from the bag to the tank? Just throw it in or place it on a rock or what? Sorry if its a stupid question just want to know

acclimate it properly first, then take it out and put it where you want, the anemone will move wherever it wants to go. if it likes where you put it, it will stay. if it doesnt it will move..

Acclimate it for at least 3-4 hours. Then turn off your power heads and put it in where you want it and let it attach itself. Will probably attach in less than 10 minutes. Then turn you powerheads back on. As knucklehead said it will move if it doesn't like where you put it.

After the acclimation,I like to remove the anemone from the bag underwater.I try not to let it get exposed to air.

you should always wear gloves when handleing anemones or any coral or invert for that matter. Some animals are very toxic and can harm you (especially if you happen to have a cut on your hand)

After the acclimation,I like to remove the anemone from the bag underwater.I try not to let it get exposed to air.

You put the LFS's water in your tank ? My guy at the fish store told me not to put his water in my tank cause he has medication in it. He told me to put the fish in a small bucket with his water and drip for 2-3 hours then take it out and put it in my tank. I scooped up my anemone in the palm of my hand and placed him on a rock where I wanted him. He moved the next day.

Fish water will have medication in it. Water that inverts come in will not. Fish and inverts are on separate systems in fish stores so that the fish can be medicated if need be.

Sunshine,I wouldnt do that,unless I 100% trusted my LFS.Plus I know whats in the coral and invert tanks at my store because I go in there and help out whenever I can.
But like Biff said too.Theres not going to be any medications in the water with inverts and corals.

That's why I was wondering about another thread on here where someone said this one coral should never touch air. I was wondering how they would get the coral in their tank without it being in the air first. How do the fish stores get them in their tanks after coming from far away places ? Are they in untreated water coming from them ? I know this is stealing the thread, sorry. I was always curious as to how they came to the store without oxygen for so long.

Stuff like sponges are usually in a bag that dont have an air pocket.For those,we usually put the shipping bag into the tank the sponge is going in,then tear a small hole in it under the water.Then we'll give it a couple of hours and take it out of the bag.
For thing like Linkia stars,they'll normally stay well away from any air thats trapped in their bag.But we'll acclimate those the same as we do for sponges.
For everything else,its drip,float,and release.

Back