anemone ???

hoopsdaddy

This is my reef club....
After the tank has been up a little while how many different problems would a nem cause in an sps mostly tank? If I get one should I introduce it before I start adding corals? Never had one before and don't know much about them.

I've lost two already......My first was a sebae, which I'm told are impossible to keep, he lasted three days. My second was a beautiful ble carpet, which I found out is the next most impossible to keep. He did about two months, and had to be pulled yesterday......):

I'm not giving up yet, I love them. Having said that, I'm a couple months away from anything swimming in the 180, and it will be another year before I try again. Next time it will be a green bubble tip.

frogspawns are cool, they are listed as corals, but are alot like anemones. pretty easy to keep from what i've read in Aquarium magazine. and mushroom corals are actually anemones according to this magazine. do best in low light conditions, making them a perfect chice for nearly any marine aquarium, to quote the article. also says, if you tank uses comact fluorescent lights ( or even standard fluorescent lights ), you can still keep mushrooms. in thaks with metal halides, you simply need to put these corals under a ledge or in some area that is shaded from the bright light. they have no requirements for feeding, they get all the nutrients they need from leftovers floating in the tank, and they really dont have any other specific requirements for care. because they are aquacultured, grow quickly and are available in a variety of colors, mushroom anemones are the perfect choice for home aquaria.

i quoted that from the article.

frogspawns are cool, they are listed as corals, but are alot like anemones. pretty easy to keep from what i've read in Aquarium magazine.
My clowns harassed it do death. I had one about the size of a softball. I saved one frag of it before it died and just put it back in the new tank.

get something tough for your clowns, mine were in the anthelia till the nem came. Trust me nothing can kill that crap.......lol

Try a rock with some hairy shrooms for your problem clowns. They love them, and won't be able to kill them. I had the same problem with my pair, my giant female killed at least eight (expensive) LPS corals before I put the hairy shrooms in her territory for her.

As for anemones, I don't recommend them in a reef tank for the reason Yote mentioned -- they will kill other corals whenever they move. And depending on the anemone, they have a tendency to eat your fish too (including their clowns).

i didi something stupid, i got a condy anemone, well now it has disappeard in my tank, you think that maybe my red hermit crabs coould have eaten it? is tis pliable?

hope you find him, cause if he croaks and you don't know where he is, he's gonna wipe out the rest of the tank.......

An anemone in a new tank is a bad choice. They are toxic animals and almost always die in new tanks (tanks that have been set up for less than a year). And when they die, like Melonbob said, they usually end up killing everything else in your tank. If I were you, I would try to find him, then take him back to the store.

Anemones are more light demanding than most corals, and require much higher water quality than a lot of corals. Anemones will usually only thrive in mature, established tanks with pristine water quality and very very high lighting. They are much more difficult to keep than corals.

And no, the hermits would not have eaten it.

i removed all the rock, skimmed through the sand with my daughters toy rake and still found no anemone! i inspected every rock thoroughly, every hole and crevice and still no anemone! i dont know what happened to it! what does eat anemones? maybe i got simething in there i dont know about that got it cause there is no evidence that there was one even in the tank at this point. oh, and i know it didnt "escape" either.

I had a nice green carpet anemone for about 4 months, it did great, accepted shrimp once a week and looked awsome. Then it started moving when I added new lights-then I traded him to the lfs...he killed 4 of my fish.
My clowns flirted with hosting to my frogspawn, and bubble coral, even my maze brain. Finally settled into my open brain quite contently. Never even gave my carpet nem a second look...

Nothing would have eaten it. Did you check all your intakes? They can get sucked into filters really easily. If it died, it could have rotted very quickly, especially if it was small.

thats the only thing i can figure. when i took out all the rock i changed out the filter cartridges and such in my filter but no anemone. it must have dissolved, but everyone in the tank is fine including my queen conch and hermits. i dont know, maybe hes sucked off deep in a rock and i couldnt see him, but its day 2 and no sign.

Back