anenome question

queenangel77

Reefing newb
I have an anenome that seems to not want to attatch himself anywhere in the tank. I sometimes find him flipped completely over on the sand. Why does he not attatch himself to a rock or something so he does not keep flipping over? Should I be flipping him upright when i see him like this?

Sounds like he's not happy. Not much you can do except try to provide an environment that does make him happy. And this is assuming he is fairly healthy.
How's your flow? Mine seems to like a decent amount of flow and an area to retreat into at night so he chose a cave near my powerhead. It took him weeks to find his current spot. Every so often he would release from the rock and go floating around the tank and eventually get stuck to the outside of a powerhead. He even spent some days all the way behind my rock just barely peaking out at the very top during the day. I had to move powerheads around and it wasn't until i ripped half my rock out (due to having to get a brittle star out of my tank) and putting it back in a different arrangement that he finally settled down. Nem's can be a pain in the butt.

Like D2 said.Its either not happy or not healthy.Either way,theres not much you can do to make it attach.
If it dont attach itself somewhere in the next day or so,I'd yank its butt outta there.You dont want an anemone dieing in your tank as it can take everything else with it.

Really?! Yikes.
I thought the nem in my 150g was dead but then I grabbed it with my tongs and as I began to pull it up it started falling apart. Oh yea... more than dead. As soon as it broke the water surface the entire house smelled like death. Nasty nasty nasty.

Really?! Yikes.
I thought the nem in my 150g was dead but then I grabbed it with my tongs and as I began to pull it up it started falling apart. Oh yea... more than dead. As soon as it broke the water surface the entire house smelled like death. Nasty nasty nasty.
the reason curing live rock smells so bad is because it has a very bad smell, kinda like a garbage dump and dirty diapers, and that smell lingers for weeks

Your sig says 2 months experience with salt, is this right?
An anemone needs a mature ( at least 6 to 8 months, preferably a year) tank to survive, let alone thrive. Do you have very bright lighting, like metal halide or T5's at least? If not, don't count on your nem lasting long. Is its mouth gaping, does it appear loose? That's also a bad sign. Good luck.

Jag is right on. Anemones have a very small chance of surviving in tanks that are less than a year old. And pretty much no chance of surviving in tanks that have insufficient lighting -- you need halides or T5s to keep them. They are difficult animals to keep alive and happy. More difficult than most corals. And usually they are not suitable for community reef tanks because they can end up killing so many other animals in the tank.

I have accuired the tank from a friend 3 months ago. It was set up at his house for 8 months. It is a small tank and i havnt really done anything in it at all.(think its a 29 bio cube) There was 1 clown fish in there when i recieved it which i still have. There is T5 lighting. Blue acintic/ocean sun. I did take the water and everything from the tank in buckets when it was moved. I took the anenome from someone who was going to just kill it cause he didnt like it. I didnt want that to happen so now i have it. Dont know what kind. Its a very light pink color.

I have 2 months salt experiance listed because i started my own tank in october of 08 (salt 72 bow). i do not consider myself experienced in salt water at all. Thats why i put 2 months. My friend was just going to throw out this tank, and I didnt want to see that happen. I check the water paremeters and thats about it. Did 4 water changes on it also (20% Ro water) . I am looking in to buying a bigger tank (210 to 300) in the next month that i am going to set up as salt and this is why i ask so many questions. Thanks for all your input.

Cool!
So what kind of T5 fixture? Is it High Output? Does it have individual reflectors?
What about your flow inside the tank? Any powerheads?
How are your water parameters? What are you testing for?
What are you feeding your tank? Have you tried feeding the nem directly?
You have a decent amount of live rock?

Just trying to figure out why he's not happy.

if you cant figure out why it is not happ it will die soon. what kind of nem is it?
what is the wattage of your t5's? are you shure it is t5's and not pc's?

Cool!
So what kind of T5 fixture? Is it High Output? Does it have individual reflectors?
What about your flow inside the tank? Any powerheads?
How are your water parameters? What are you testing for?
What are you feeding your tank? Have you tried feeding the nem directly?
You have a decent amount of live rock?

Just trying to figure out why he's not happy.

The fixture is a t5 ho. There is a powerhead in the tank. it does 180 gph. The water params are nitrite-0 nitrate-0 alk-240 ph-8.1 Ammonia-0 salinity-1.024. The tank gets fed brine shrimp and Reef Plus. I guess that there is about 20lbs of live rock in there, maybe 25. How would i feed him directly and what do i feed him. Should i be flipping him back over when he is on his face?

are the tenticales sticky? you can feed them a small table shrimp or get silversides from the lfs and feed them to it. if it keeps flippping over i would take it out but that is just me.

are the tenticales sticky? you can feed them a small table shrimp or get silversides from the lfs and feed them to it. if it keeps flippping over i would take it out but that is just me.

The tenticles are sticky. I flipped him overf last night and he stuck to my hand. I will try the shrimp thing. I have some in the freezer left over from new year. :D

do you have just a one bulb t5?

No, its 2 seperate bulbs. It does not have the bio cube top on it. The guy i recieved it from was an idiot and broke it. I have a 48" t5 ho over it now that i had a spare of. The bulbs are marine glo actinic 54 watts and a marine power glo 18k 54 watts. They are brand new bulbs. The fixture hangs from the ceiling in the basement do to the fact that it is way to big for this tank.

No, its 2 seperate bulbs. It does not have the bio cube top on it. The guy i recieved it from was an idiot and broke it. I have a 48" t5 ho over it now that i had a spare of. The bulbs are marine glo actinic 54 watts and a marine power glo 18k 54 watts. They are brand new bulbs. The fixture hangs from the ceiling in the basement do to the fact that it is way to big for this tank.

Are these bulbs any good? Fixture any good?

Back