Angels being added

Sportspa

Reefing newb
Any hints or tips on Angelfish? I have 265 reef tank that was set-up in May 2012. Everything has cycled and all the rest of the fish, including Blue Hippos are doing great. I want to add some Angels, particularly the Koran and Queen Angels. I am a little hesitant and don't want to lose any of these beautiful fish.

Thanks!

Bob

What other fish do you have? You know angels are prone to nipping corals (unless you're lucky enough to get a nice one), right?

Start off with a reputable LFS. Make sure the fish is eating at the store (a good LFS doesn't usually refuse a feeding). When you get them home, do a drip acclimation for 1-2 hours (the longer the better).

Feed the fish in your tank while you're drip-acclimating, too.

Before adding, acclimate the bag's water temp. Then, turn off the lights, and add them in (don't get the LFS water in your tank).

If you're planning on QT'ing them, same thing -- drip acclimate to the qt tank water, them float the bag to equalize the temp. Make sure they have a hiding spot.

The rest is just hoping your fish is healthy enough to handle the move :)

Make sure to feed a quality food. My experience was not feeding correctly from the beginning. Angels need a sponge based food especially the larger ones. I feed marine spectrapure soaked in angelixer.
That Pet Place Pet Supplies Search | ThatPetPlace.com
The frozen angel specific formula is good, but I had issues with both of my angels ignoring that food.

Another thing to think about is that the Queen angel can be VERY nasty to any new additions. When you do add the angels I would do the koran then the queen but be sure to add them close together. My Emperor and Blue Angel get along great together. At 7" now in full adult coloration they are real beauties but they will constantly harass any new addition unless it is at least the same size. (this gets expensive at this size.)

Hope this helps a little!

K

Most Angelfish are not considered reef safe... or they say "with caution".
The Genicanthus genus is the only ones considered reef safe.

Thanks everyone for all the great information!! This is really helpful!! I will let you know how it goes! Keeping my fins crossed! :D

Bob Y.

Just an update.......I added a Queen + Blue Face at the same time yesterday and both seem to be doing well. Sticking to a mainly veggie diet. Thanks!

Bob Y.

Back