another anemone

pabloescobar

Reefing newb
i've had this guy for like 3 weeks. this is the third time he did this. basically let go of his spot and opened his mouth wide. and kinda floats there. last time i moved him to a rock and he attached again. I don't know if he is dieing or just trying to move.

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a very bleached and unhealthy looking anemone. If your tank is only 2 months old, it may not survive. Healthy anemones need established, stable systems and at 2 months your tank is neither.

What are your water parameters and what kind of lighting do you have?

capt has you covered. if your tank is only 2 months old, id remove the nem asap before it nukes your tank. It looks totally bleached

ph 8.2
amonia 0
nirite 0
nirate .05
calcium 440
phosphate 0

the guy at the store said that was just the color of this nem. it looked the same 3 weeks ago. now i looked and he moved lifted him self into another position and is grabbing the gravel and sand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/polskirocker/aquarium/IMG_1220.jpg

i have 260 watts of light and it has the blue lights and white. sorry i forgot the term for them. his position moved to face the light now. maybe he is just looking for more light? I am not totally sure what to do. if like 2 more people post to take it out i think i will tomorrow.

Agreed. I had two different anemones that died in my current tank. The only success I've had with them was after the tank had been up for more than a year.

You have 260 watts over a 130 gallon tank? Or is this over the 40 gallon tank? If that is over the 130, then that's not nearly enough light for an anemone -- you need about 5 times that amount of light. That's even considered iffy for keeping low light corals. If that's over the 40, then that's more than sufficient light, but they are hard to keep in new tanks.

White anemones are not healthy anemones. It means they are bleached.

ccCapt is right. Anenomes need a very stable environment to thrive. And if you don't know, the term "nuke" that everyone is using is correct. When Anenomes die they have the potential of killing everything in your tank from the poison that is in them.

Remove it. Good luck.

Back