Another Lighting question.

kwsm

Reefing newb
So stupid question, for a while I was apparently under the impression we had T5's. We don't, I'm an idiot and we have PCs :P. 2 64W Actinics and 2 64W 10K daylights. Tank is a 55g; dimensions are 48"L x 13"W x 20"H.

Enough to keep softies and most LPS, yes? What about Montis, Cups, or Chalices?

The LFS we frequent thats about an hour away has some frags going now for dirt cheap and they look nice and healthy but I didn't want to get one today without knowing that they will do well under my lighting. Also I've seen some people keep Monti's for quite a while where they're just "surviving" not really growing and thriving. I'm not interested unless they'll be happy.

Wouldn't do more than the softies and shrooms myself with PCs. I dunno about the chalices though I've never messed with them. Definitly not a monti though. Also what is a cup?

Wouldn't do more than the softies and shrooms myself with PCs. I dunno about the chalices though I've never messed with them. Definitly not a monti though. Also what is a cup?

Found a definite answer on the cups (they're actually LPS, I thought they were SPS). Found a couple websites that said they should be fine with PCs as they don't require much light.

(Green Eyed Cup Coral)

The Duncans and Frogspawn do fine under the lights we have now so I think I'm mostly alright with LPS. New heads and nice coloring on both of them in the month or so we've had them.

When I thought we had T5's like a moron (I just let the boyfriend buy the lights and took his word for it), I had a pretty clear idea of what we could keep.

Yeah lots of LPS are fine under low light. SPS would not be good under your lighting though. A mostly softy tank with some LPS can actually be really nice. I kinda like soft corals over the sps ones myself.

Yeah lots of LPS are fine under low light. SPS would not be good under your lighting though. A mostly softy tank with some LPS can actually be really nice. I kinda like soft corals over the sps ones myself.

I agree. I think the LPS are the best looking personally. Zoas and mushrooms can come in some pretty outrageous colors as well.

I just can't turn down $6 frags :P

Back