Another stinking question. (Power heads)

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Okay, so I have 5 Power heads in my tank for flow. Just added another today thanks to my wife. I have: (hope you can follow along!)

2 Koralia Evo 750's
1 Koralia Evo 1050 (new)
2 Oceanic 250's (Free so I use them)

With the returns I have roughly 41x turnover per hour. My question is placement. I know its a tricky question. Right now I have a 750 in each rear outside corner angeled in so they cross streams in the center of the tank, center of the water column. One 250 Right side, about 1/3 into the tank, top of water column, pointing "up" so it ripples the water. My returns also ripple the water. The other 250 is at the left front, mid tank pointed down towards the sand, middle of the front of the tank. The new 1050 is now mounted between the first 250 and the RH 750. It is aimed directly at the front of the tank middle to low in the water column.

Where should these go for optimum water movement. My fish don't care. I have a Green mushroom on the sand right side, a hairy mushroom on the sand left side, a Zoa colony on rock behind the green shroom (just moved it there as it does not look well) and a Zoa colony left side, mid column on the rock. It is NOT happy with the flow. 25% or more of them are close up. Center on the sand up front I have an Orange Fungia.

Any thoughts?

I remember when you started this thread just two days ago titled, "Last Question for a While"! I think since then, you've started three or four more threads. :rofl:

https://www.livingreefs.com/last-question-while-one-spot-foxface-t42213.html

I'm having a hard time envisioning your setup, although you were detailed in describing it... It's hard to say exactly where to put your stuff. I had 4 Koralia Evos (1050s) in my 90 gallon, all were along the back glass, near the top, spaced about a foot apart from each other (4 foot long tank). You will just have to keep playing with things until you find a "happy spot" for your corals. I don't think it'd hurt to get rid of one or both of the Oceanic powerheads -- if they are cluttering up the view and taking up space. They aren't adding much to the flow and it's always handy to have extra powerheads available for mixing water and stuff. I think your tank would be fine with the other 3 along the back. Or... move all of them along the back wall.

The last thread, thread, was about fish, not equipment!!!

Four of the are on the back wall one is up front. I do admit its a bit cluttered. I'm just having crap building up on the sand, diatoms and possibly Cyano, and I'm trying to increase the flow in these areas. So if I get rid of the 250's would it hurt putting one in my newly added fuge? Just to aerate the waters surface in that area or would it be defeating the purpose of the fuge?

You shouldn't need a powerhead in the sump. Usually the flow going through it is sufficient for the fuge. Some people do put a small one in there to keep their chaeto tumbling around a bit. I never had to do that.

Well, I know I don't "need" one, I'm just wondering if it would be counterproductive to have one. My Cheato, when I get it, Won't be where the power head is. I'm wondering if it would do any good to break the surface tension of the water a little with a power head.

Back