Another urchin question thread

BL1

So right now, I've got a short spine urchin in my 28g and he's eating non-stop (mostly my coraline too). He doesn't seem to like hair algae at all, and it's growing like crazy! Do the different types of urchins eat different types of algae? If so, would my tank be big enough to sustain 2 urchins in my CUC?

need to brush the long hair algae off after which my urchin mowed over the area stripping it clean white. They should keep it under control after that.

I've never had an urchin mainly cause I hear they strip the rock clean indiscriminatly.
I'm not real worried about them stripping the rocks too much, I've only had the tank setup for a few weeks now and I've been having crazy coraline growth. So, I know it'll come back quickly

need to brush the long hair algae off after which my urchin mowed over the area stripping it clean white. They should keep it under control after that.
Thanks Cathic, I'll have to scrub the rocks tomorrow

Agreed....the urchin cannot eat the algae when it has gotten too long. However, if you mow the lawn, so to speak, he can certainly clear out what's left!

+1 above
Manually remove as much of the hair as possible,then your urchin can get in there after whats left.

Back