Any advise on sumps?

Every thought about a DIY sump? A heck of a lot cheaper and you can customize it how you want.

^ This. I spent $$$ with the Lifereef setup and while it has worked well for me, there are things I would have done differently now that I know better. If I can ever convince the wife to let me have a second tank, I'll be going the DIY route

DIY sumps have always made much more sense to me. Why spend hundreds of dollars on a name brand sump when you can build one with baffles and all for less than $50?

I'm doing a 10 gallon sump for my grandfather's 60 gallon cube. It's tiny but will fit a skimmer and a fuge. What's nice about it is that I could probably also fit a small ATO reservoir in the stand...

DIY sumps have always made much more sense to me. Why spend hundreds of dollars on a name brand sump when you can build one with baffles and all for less than $50?

How the heck are you building one for less than $50? I've been working on building mine and the baffles themselves are costing me around $70 because I couldn't find any stores that carry 1/4" glass and while I can get an okay deal online the shipping costs are outrageous!

How the heck are you building one for less than $50? I've been working on building mine and the baffles themselves are costing me around $70 because I couldn't find any stores that carry 1/4" glass and while I can get an okay deal online the shipping costs are outrageous!

I got 4 10X12" plexiglass baffles from my local place for a bit over $40 and got the 30 gallon tank free. The 10 gallon tank I got from petco was $14.

For the new sump I'm probably going to use glass baffles since I had some trouble getting the plexiglass to stick to the silicon. I guess it's gonna cost more. :?

Back