any & all suggestions!!

MamawVal

Reefing newb
Thank you all for the welcome! I am glad to have found a place with real people to help with any questions I may have. Although I have had my sw tank almost a year, I still know little about them. I have kinda just let it go on it's own with what I had to start with. The local fs I started with has since closed so now I have to travel about 50 miles to get my water (which is a lot easier & cheaper than making it myself) & supplies or go online. I do the water changes about once a month which has seemed to work well. I have the old standard filters from when I had a fresh wayer tank (that I hope to replace wit a canister soon!) I also have a heater & 2 addtl. pumps just to move the water. I am still in the process of obtaining more LR (which I should be receiving any day now) I have a small zoo & a feather duster and a colt coral, though small, they all seem to be doing well. I also have an anemone which the blk. & wht. clown has taken to well. I am trying to promote the coralline algae growth now as there is little in there. I DID have a problem with an unwanted algae that starts out a really pretty purple & I was told to use the eurythromycin (sp) which seemed to do the trick & it all turned black & went away but I see traces of it again. I suppose I will need another treatment.? Anyway....I got a protien skimmer for a Christmas present & I took it out because the foam would leak out around the rim & was going back into the tank, which I KNEW was not good. My kids got it off ebay for me & for some strange reason, after Christmas, they sent a second one to my daughter who lives in Tn. She called & said she got it but we have no idea why. Anyway, I am meeting her in Ky. (half way) this weekend for m birthday & she is bringing it to me & I am hoping it will work w/o leaking as this one did. If it does, I will have to get yet another one! geezzz!~~ I am trying to learn all I can & what I really "need" to have a beautiful tank. I am hoping to find a place this weekend in Lexington Ky. (where I'm meeting my daughter) that may have some good (reasonably priced) corals, mushrooms, ect, that I could get. I know the big thing with SW tanks is patience, but mine really does need some frags to get going & to add more color & life! I may add some more fish later, one of which I am wanting is something that is red or orange since I have yellow, blue, black & white already. I am not sure what would be com patible with the ones I have. Everytime I find one I like it says it's agressive or won't live well in a reef tank. I want both! Reef & Fish! lol I will list again what I have. Yellow tang, 2 blue damsels, firefin goby (had 2, 1 died) blk. & wht. clown, chocolate chip star fish & 2 snails. Any suggestions on what else I can add would be greatly appreciated. I also am a little leary about getting live things online (except LR)...not real sure if it is too much a risk or what.
I was also wondering what all the tiny white things are growing in my tank. I can't get a picture of them to show up. I was told they may be feather dusters but they don't seem to be growing fast at all so I can't really tell. But they are growing on all the LR & on the glass too. They are a tube like thing w/ tiny tiny things sticking out from the end. and they are all white. Any ideas? (My feather duster also amazed me...1 day I looked & the feather part had detatched & was laying away from the tube...so I thought ok well it has dies...but now there is a new "feather" on it & seems to be doing well. I didn't know they did that...or was that just a freaky thing?? lol) Anyway...I am glad it's doing better. And oh yeah...I am adding Purpleup to try to get more CA growing. Was wondering how long I should keep adding it? Hopefully it works
I am looking forward to all the help I can get. And thanks again for the Welcome!!

The protein skimmer should make a big difference. Which brand did you get? Also if you have an algae problem I would suggest getting more snails than just two. I have a 46 gallon and have been suggested to get around 20 snails by people on this forum to start with since I don't have much algae at the moment.

be careful with the chocolate chip starfish, they are known to eat corals.

Growing CA needs high levels of Alk and Cal. Do you regularly test for them? What size is your tank?

-Doc

I would skip the canister filter and just go with a good protein skimmer. Unless cleaned religiously, canisters will lead to nitrate and algae problems.

If you want to get into a reef system then the chocolate sea star will have to go.No corals,shrimps,crabs and just about everything else is not safe around them.

Feather duster worms will throw their crown when molting and when they are feeling threaten,especially if something is picking on them ala' chocolate star.

I.m not sure how far you are from Bowling Green but there suppose to be a great fish store called Phishy Business.I believe its a small chainstore in the tri-state area of Il,In and Ky.You can check out there website also Phishy Business I use Liveaquaria's Divers Den mainly.They have a great reputation for excellent inhabitants.They have a nice 14 day guarantee as well.

Back