Any idea what these critters are?

little_tuna

Reefing newb
Kindof hard to see in the pic but they are the brown things in the middle. They are mobile, moving very slowly.

IMG00405-20110518-0949.jpg

Yeah its a Rist Brown flat worm. It says that they can grow to be a nuisance. It says that wrasse and dragonettes will eat them.

I plan on getting a tank raised mandarin dragonette. Do you think he will still eat them being "tank raised"

Last edited:
Don't count on a fish being able to take care of the problem - there are many more than you can see. You should treat with Flatworm Exit as soon as possible.

Yeah it is. :( Be sure to scoop them out as they die and have a water change ready. The medication is reef safe, but the pests are toxic. You can safely add more than the recommended dosage if you need to. I have tried up to ten times the dosage in the instructions before, with no ill effects.

Well since theres not too much in my tank right now i went ahead and fresh water dipped all my rocks and so far i dont see any flatworms. Hopefully that did the trick but ill keep an eye out and as soon as i see one ill use the Flatworm Exit to take them out. At least this way i've gotten ride of a good amount of them and there will only be a few dieing from the Flatworm Exit if i do use it.

On the negative side. I have one rock full of mushrooms and another with just three on it. I was too affraid to dip the rock with all the mushrooms but it didnt have any flatworms on it anywaz. However, i did dip the other rock and the mushrooms arent looking too good. Hopefully they will pull through.

And sadly some of my mini brittle stars hidden in the rocks didnt make it either...:cry:

The freshwater dip wouldn't have hurt the mushrooms. It may have hurt the bacteria on your rocks, depending on how long you left them in the fresh water. Fresh water dipping live rock isn't a good solution -- it would have been better to use the Flatworm Exit. Doing a freshwater dip on rocks will kill lots of good things on them, in addition to the flatworms. At least the Flatworm Exit only kills its intended targets. ;)

Back