any ideas on this starfish

supernatureal

Reefing newb
Anyone have an idea oh what this starfish is.

Attachments

• P1010485.JPG
    P1010485.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 264
  • P1010486.JPG
    P1010486.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 261
yup, it's a serpent/banded brittle star.
Very good star for a reef tank. Scavenges on the sand bed.
That's a very pretty one.

Looks like a Serpent Starfish to me. It is indeed very pretty. It will love a little squirt of mysis shrimp from a turkey baster every once in a while.

Bad new on star fish I took the picture when I was moving him from the bucket I found him in and he did not make it. When I put him in the tank he stop moving around. Kind of bumbed about it.

If you had a mantis or a pistol, you would probably never see it, unless you were specifically looking for it. You would however, hear clicking from the tank. The nems could be the culprit but if you feed them they will usually not bother your livestock. Do you feed the nems? Have you lost any fish, or are you just speaking of the experience your friend who gave them to you had? If you are still losing fish, then I suggest you post specifics, ie. type of fish, water parameters, etc. and we'll help you figure it out.

The person I got the fish from told me that. When I took out the rock and stuff from her tank There wasn't any mantis or pistol shrimp. Matter of fact there were no shrimp. That is one of the things I need to get when I get the main tank set up and ready to house them permently.

The person I got the fish from told me that. When I took out the rock and stuff from her tank There wasn't any mantis or pistol shrimp. Matter of fact there were no shrimp. That is one of the things I need to get when I get the main tank set up and ready to house them permently.

Just keep an eye out for the "clicking" that a mantis will make. They will sometimes never be seen but they can be in there. Mantis hollow out the inside of a rock.

1 of my anenomes has eaten several of my fish (and i do feed him table shrimp). I have even came down to see the tails of the fish sliding down his mouth. that could be where your fish are going. I have one that eats fish and one that does not. (the one that does is the size of a basketball):frustrat:
And i can pretty much guaranty that the star is not eating your fish while they are alive. they move way too slow to catch them

Last edited:
+1 Queen. If you have a mantis or a pistol, they would have hidden inside the rock and remained there until they felt it was safe to come out, or until they had been out of the water for too long. If you had the rock out of water for 30+ mins then I'd say you don't have any shrimp, if not, then they could be hiding out in there. Just beware of the possibility that you have a predator other than that nem in your tank.

Back