Aptasia

simpleman

Reefing newb
So here's a real newbie question. What exactly is Aptasia? I hear it's bad. I've noticed a couple in my tank, but I wasn't sure what they were, they just sort of appeared.

They are small pest anemones.They can spread quickly and sting corals to death.If you want to get rid of them,try Joe's Juice.Boiling water or lemon juice through a syringe may work too.Peppermint shrimps will eat them too.Make sure they are true Peppermints and not an imposter(Camel shrimp)

I'm planning to make a stop at the LFS tomorrow. Is there a way to distinguish a peppermint from a camel shrimp? By the way do you know the name of the coral that grows like a menorah(jewish candelabrum)? Thanks

Fox Nosed Butterfly fish will eat aptasia. So will a nudibranch.

Buy one from the LFS and fatten him up. Then trade it back to the LFS for credit. :sfish:

One of the LFS around here purposefully keeps tanks and tanks full of live rock that is just SMOTHERED in aptasia. I asked her why doesn't she get rid of it. Her friend breeds nubabranchs and makes a handsome living doing it. They eat aptasia. So the LFS just keeps a healthy aptasia population and gives the rocks to her breeder friend when they are covered. She takes back the bare rocks and puts them back into the store tanks to get repopulated.

I thought that was kind of interesting. Most LFS would shudder and swear at the sight of aptasia in their tanks.

I still like Joe's Juice. Simple, effective and instant - burns them away. Just make sure you turn off your powerheads so it doesn't flow onto your other corals or it will kill them too.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Definitely don't get a Berghia or a Butterfly.The berghia will eventually starve to death and your tank is way to small for a Butterfly.

Can someone post a pic of aptasia please? I think I have some in my tank but am not sure. I cant get a good pic of it either....NM, got it off of google, I have it...

Last edited:
Thanks Biff! Do you have any opinions on snails? I've got turbos and I've been hearing they don't live too long. I've had mine for over six months, heard they don't live too long in reefs.

eh, Biff likes sea hares. She is prejudiced against mexican turbo snails. I have had several live a long time and others die. Make sure you only stock them 1 snail per 10-15 gallons. They do major algea eating, but do need a lot of food and too much competition will starve them

I had Mexican Turbo live for years.Like Doc said,don't put to many of them in.They are like lawnmowers,when the algae is gone,they can starve.

I personally hate those wet back turbos with a passion.There so big that they knock my acros off the rocks.And it aint no fun digging through 75lbs of live rock looking for acros thats not where there supposed to be.

Last edited:
yote, if you put a tortilla in the tank, they nest there and will avoid your acros. Not one of them cheap-o flour ones either, just corn...

BTW, I am half Guatemalan for those of you who gasped at my politically incorrectness, hell, if you can't tease your own, what good are you???

Back