Aptasia!..

stormystormy11

Reef Addicted!
I am so done fighting aptasia. What do I do know?...I bought an Aptasia Eating Filefin that does not eat aptasia, I got two pep. shrimp...can only find one and he is to little to make a difference. I'm thinking about getting a berghia nudibranch but I pretty sure my six line wrasse will eat them. I have a lot of rock in my 75 and can't get to some of the aptasia towards the back. Those can grow huge before I can finally get them to eat aptaxia X. I'm going to try and trap the wrasse so that I can possibly get nudibraches...anyone have luck with these or anything else I can try?

oh thats crappy. i had the best luck when i added 6-7 peppermint shrimp. i dont know what else to say but just keep doing what you are doing. i know it sucks. i just dont think a nudi is the way to go.

well, I do know I had a couple zoe eating nudi's and they about wiped out every zoa and leather until I caught them all. Was just thinking they would do a good job on aptasia too. Expensive tho and catching my wrasse will quite the job...lol

oh yea they will eat the crap out of the aptasia. for me personaly i dont like to get thinks that once they are done eating their food they die. i have thought about doing that before but added a bunch of shrimp instead and they did the job

The problem with the shrimp is that I think my wrass will eat them and I have a nice colony of yellow polyps..which I think they eat too. If only I could order one HUGE pep shrimp....

I know he would...I saw him yank my new pistol shrimp right off a rock and drag him to the back of the tank...have not seen the pistol since.

+1 Biffers... the more you get the better chance you have of getting one that a) actually eats aptasia and b) survives the wrasse.

I waited for a few months to get the Nudi that eats Aptasia. They never arrived so I broke down and used the lemon juice. Go to the the pharmacy and ask for a small suringe. Fill it half full of lemon juice(enough that you can use one hand to poke and squirt at the same time). Put the sharp needle into the mouth of the aptasia and give it a little squirt, you do not need much. It will shink up and get hard if you hit the right spot. When I looked the next day it was gone. I missed one so I had to repeat and now my tank is free of Aptasia.

I am currently fighting the same battle. I have a Klein's butterfly in the DT that has done a pretty good job of keeping the rocks free of Aipstaisa, but they will also eat some corals (I had a brain on its way out due to a nitrate spike that the butterfly finished off)

My problem is that my overflows are solid aipstaisa, and any treatment tells you to kill flow. If I kill flow, the overflow drains and all the nems shrink up due to being out of water (and can't be treated)

I have been talking to Ed about it, and I am so tired of dealing with it I am thinking a total tank teardown is in order to resolve the issue....

I had cyano real bad for a while, fighting that was CAKE compared to Aipstaisa. Give me cyano any day

Back