Aquarium Help!

SexyKatey

Reefing newb
Hey!

So I'm very new to the salt water aquarium and it seems to be posing a big challenge, so I need some help. Let me explain first. In my aquarium I have a hammer and mushroom coral, 3 seahorses, a clown fish, cleaning shrimp, and 3 starfishes (different types) it is a 30 gallon tank. I did a water change on Monday and have noticed today that my seahorses have ich. I went to the store and bought a treatment that wont harm the coral to treat it and i also bought a kit to test all the water parameters. I noticed that I have a serious red and green algae outbreak occurring and when i tested my waters the readings were really high. So I need help lowering the levels without effecting the ich treatment and harming my aquarium.

Salt,Salinity: 31 and 1.023
Temp: 80
Nitrate: 40-80 (really high)
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0.25
High Range PH: 7.8

Seahorses really need a species specific tank, which may be stressing them out. Also, they do not handle poor water conditions very well and it looks like your tank is going through a cycle. Another important thing is, any ich treatment that is reef/invert safe is not effective for treating the parasite.

First read this about the ich:https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

Second, please return the seahorses to where you got them or do some serious research because they clearly arent in a tank that is designed for their needs. If you are serious about your seahorses and are committed to keeping then, i would immediately go to seahorse.com and email Pete G. for his seahorse lessons.

Also the reason why you have bad values is that your tank is seriously over stocked. Seahorses are very "dirty" fish and with the clownfish, all of their waste is going to fuel the algae you have growing in your tank. You need to get rid of some of your fish and step up your water changes. You should probably invest in a skimmer or algae scrubber to help get those values under control.

Also, because have readings of ammonia you have caused a mini cycle in your tank, probably the result of over stocking.

Back