Aquarium Monitors

If you're talking about stuff like Aqua Controllers then yeah, they're amazing.

If you go to the neptune systems website you can read about them.

I"ve been reading alot about them, but wanted to find out what actual people thought about them. If they're just a yuppie little gadget, or an actual useful tool, ya know?

extremely useful. Let's say you're out of town on a business trip for the weekend... and your temperature starts going haywire. First, your heaters are connected to the DC8 which controls them, so the temp starts climbing the heaters get turned off... continues climbing, and you get sent an e-mail telling you that something is wrong, and that your current temperature is higher than usual. Well it still climbs so your lighting turns off. Same sort of thing with your PH, it suddenly starts falling, your AC3 will start dosing kalk from your kalk reactor, or shut off your Calcium reactor.

With their included software, you can view live stank stats from anywhere in the world.... even control the equipment remotely. You can seriously set your AC3 to a certain longitude and latitude, and have it mimic that area's actually seasonal temperatures and solar/lunar cycles!

They're amazing.... I wish I had one.

I dont know to much about Aqua controllers but i have read alot about them and they sound like a really nice piece to get my hands on but they are really expensive!

I just can't figure out if they are worth it for me since the only thing I really need it to control are my lights, fans and heater. And the lights/fan can be put on timers, which is a more bulky solution but it works.
So I'm having trouble justifying the cost.

I would do a controller on something small like a 46g bow. My friend shane has one on his 160g SPS, it controls his calcium reactor among many other things. He has dual vortechs on his tank, so he doesn't have to justify costs much :P

Controllers are a great addition to a reef enviroment, But depending on your system they are not a necessity. I have used controllers for years and cant imagine a tank without them. For years I used a handful of timers to control lights, and trusted the thermostats on the heaters to be accurate.
Here is what you get with a controller, Peace of mind and less hassle.

Where it becomes a necesity is when you add things like calcium reactors, top off systems, chillers, and other new technology equipment. I just recently upgraded my old Octopus system 3000 with the new Digital aquatics "reef keeper Elite" If you are looking at an affordable unit try either the aquacontroller Jr, or the new reefkeeper light. If you want to go all out get a reefkeeper elite.

Bottom line though, once you get used to using a controller you wont go back to timers.

I"ve been reading alot about them, but wanted to find out what actual people thought about them. If they're just a yuppie little gadget, or an actual useful tool, ya know?

I suppose they can be classified as both a yuppie gadget and a useful tool. I have an ACIII neptune aquacontroller and I love it. Currently I have mine set-up to control my lighting schedule for my DT and Fuge lights. It's also monitoring my pH and temperature. Based on high or low temps it cuts my heater on/off. I have feed timers set to cut off my pumps for 5 min's when I'm feeding and another timer set to cut my skimmer off for about 10 min's while I empty the collection cup. I'm getting ready to put float switches in my sump so my return pump can be shut off automatically when a low level is reached and send me an alarm so I can take action.

You can absolutely run your tank with out one but if you want to spend the cash a controller can be quite useful. The tank status in my signature box is a live status linked to my ACIII controller.

I use the aquacontroller JR with a DC8 power adaptor.... it controls my DT lighting, my fuge light, my calcium reactor, my return pump and closed loop pump, my moonlights, my heater, and my fans.... the feed cycle.... and there is much more it can do that I don't use it for...... if you really want to get fancy, then there are the more advanced units too.....

I know a lot of people that just got the reefkeeper lite as well..... and the reefkeeper elite which I believe is compatable with WiFi.... great pricing on these units for what they do as well.....
https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/index.php?cPath=68_134&osCsid=223cedd8461a51b1df949b52dcf9d248

the more advanced units like the ACIII and the RKelite can actually email, call or page you if there is an issue with your tank.... you can set up webpages that display your data so you can check the tank from across the world.... I wouldn't be without a controller like these again!

Thank you everyone, your feedback is very helpful. I think I may hold off for a little while on one of these and manually manage my tank. I work from home and rarely travel, so I can keep a better eye on things for the time being. Excellent information guys, thanks!!

Btw, no one mentioned that gizmos can mess up. For all the amazing things I've seen them do, and all the times I've heard of them saving tanks... I still know a guy who's tank got kalk slurried because his AC3 messed up on him... it happens.

Back