Aquarium Sites?

jayb123

Reefing newb
Anyone know of any good sites for purchasing equipment? Im looking for a sump for a 55 gallon tank. Any suggestions for filtration for a tank that is not drilled?

Last edited:
well aquatraders has good equiment but not good sumps. me and my dad are making a diy sump for our 125 .its alot cheaper to make one if you alredy have the equipment to make a sump

I'd recommend just making your own sump too. All you need is a used aquarium (whatever size you want), then go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get plexiglass cut to fit for the baffles and silicone them in. It's really easy, even I managed to do it.

yup, making your'e own is pretty cheap. but, if you want to buy one prebuilt marine depot has one for a 135.00 that is suitable for a 55 gallon.

lifereef.com has some awesome filter systems. they arent the cheapest but you get what you pay for and that site has some great stuff.

They got you pretty well covered on the sump part.
As for getting the water from the display tank to the sump.You have 2 options.
#1 If the glass of the tanks not tempered,you can have it drilled.
#2 A HOB overflow kit.
From my personal stand point,the only difference is in the looks and what you see inside the tank.

Definitely go the DIY route if your handy.Try Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics for some choices.I recommend incorporating some kind of refugium with the sump setup.If you have money to spare(or looking for something custom)check out Lifereef.com and My Reef Creations(MRC).

Definitely go the DIY route if your handy.Try Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics for some choices.I recommend incorporating some kind of refugium with the sump setup.If you have money to spare(or looking for something custom)check out Lifereef.com and My Reef Creations(MRC).
i agree...

I would go with a berlin sump and separate refugium.The sump can hold the pre filter,protein skimmer,heaters etc.The separate refugium allows you to control the flow and keep macro algae,some live rock to export nutrients.It also makes a safe place for copepods to populate.

I have my fuge and sump in the same tank and have found that the flow is not an issue, since the fuge is in the center section. The water mostly skims across the top of the fuge section, making it a more calm environment, whereas the total flow through the entire sump/fuge is pretty high.

Your welcome Rigo.

Only if space is a concern than do a sump/fuge together.I still think a separate fuge gives you more control.Biff you have any problems with algae growing somewhere else besides the fuge?

Your welcome Rigo.

Only if space is a concern than do a sump/fuge together.I still think a separate fuge gives you more control.Biff you have any problems with algae growing somewhere else besides the fuge?
hmmm,..good idea...more space the better..

Actually Freak, I set up the sump/fuge as part of my multi-pronged approach to combat my algae problems. Along with switching to frozen food, removing my canister filter and blasting all my rocks with a turkey baster. The only times I have had algae problems since are when I've went on vacation out of town and left the tank in the care of someone else.

Actually Biff,I was talkin about the sump since the fuge is incorporated.I was wondering if the fuge light helps algae grow in other areas of the sump.My fuge is completely black except the front,which is tinted.It helps keep the light in the fuge and out of the sump.This is my first fuge,just curious.

No I only have algae in the fuge section of the sump. I've never even seen it in the other sections. I guess that's because I only started it in the fuge section and it doesn't get transported into the other sections (it's too big/heavy).

Back