Aquarium Upstairs

eddiekern

Reefing newb
Hey ... I have a basement, a first floor, and a second floor. I want to put my aquarium in an alcove on the second floor. My question is ... has anyone had a problem putting an aquarium on a second story? I'm going w/ a 37G display, a 10 gal sump and up to a 20 gal refugium. I figure the system will weigh about 12lbs per gallon, which will put about 840lbs of force on a 24" x 16" square on the floor. Also at any given time me and my 2 roommates could be standing directly in front of the tank so thats another 600+lbs. Has anyone ever heard of a structural horror story?

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/eddiekern/Aquarium Setup/TankStand01-May-09.jpg

Thanks

Ed

IMO you should be fine. That tank is honestly not that large, and unless your home is seriously low quality you should be fine.

Normally I would say no, but the truth is that it depends. The place you want to put it actually looks perfect in that it looks like the wall behind it is a bearing point for the floor and since you are going right next to it, there should not be tremendous strain on the floor joist. You could spread the weight a little more by building a base for the stand that would fit the whole alcove you plan to place it in. Do you have any info from the builder about the thickness of the floor? If they used 5/8 or 3/4 plywood, you should be fine. if it's anything less, you could have trouble.

i kept my 80 gal + sump totaling 100 gal on the third floor. Just make sure you put it in a corner, you should be fine.

Heck I live on the second story of my apartment complex and ive got my 125 gal. But there is nothing below me except dirt and poles.

Back