Aquascaping questions

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I spent a few hours starting to aquascape today but am not very content with my progress. Part of the problem is that some of my larger rocks are still curing at home and haven't been moved to the aquarium yet, so its hard to know which rocks to use where when I don't have everything to work with! But a few general questions - is it better to aquascape before you put water in the tank? I was thinking it would be, but now I'm not so sure. I got some of those epoxy sticks to use as well, but don't know if I can use them underwater (I don't have them at home with me right now, otherwise would read the label!) Also, the pukani rock that I got from BRS is gorgeous but really large (about 5 large pieces). For those who have bought the pukani rock from BRS, where have you used it in your aquascape? With the size of my pieces, I feel like they should go on the bottom, but they are so lightweight and porous that I'm afraid they will shatter and cause a rock slide if I put the smaller heavier rocks on top. Today I tried to create a stable base out of the smaller heavier dry rock, but then couldn't find good places to put my large rock and actually create nice caves and overhangs. I finally gave up and came home! :grumble: Any suggestions that anyone has for building a good aquascape would be greatly appreciated!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kiJ5bcHvr8]How to aquascape a saltwater reef aquarium - Episode 2: Aquascaping Reef Saver dry live rock - YouTube[/ame]

dont worry i took me a looong time to aquascape mine i would change it every 2-3 weeks
, as long as the epoxy says , safe for potrable water then it will be fine

you can also use acrylic rods to link your rock that way slides arent a risk

I aquascape with the water in the tank...it'll take you a few times doing it before you're content with it (trust me, I changed my rocks around about 100x's). After you get your other rocks that curing, you'll change it again, so don't get frustrated. :)

Thanks for the video - that was useful! And for the words of support :)

I played around with the rocks over lunch and managed to make an arch out of 3 pukani pieces that looks pretty decent - just need some supporting rocks and epoxy, and maybe a rock on the back side of it to make it into a cave. The epoxy sticks (aquastix) I have are able to cure underwater, which is good. Anyone know if these are strong enough to hold large rock structures in place? I spent part of the weekend at home depot looking for epoxy that could be used in potable water and every type they had said that it wasn't for constant underwater use or aquariums. Between my epoxy hunt and trying to describe an electronic float switch to the guy in the plumbing department, I was quite the sight! All of the guys that tried to help me want me to bring pictures back of the finished product though! lol (not that it will ever be a "finished" product, but if I can get water, fish and a few corals in it, that's close enough in my book LOL)

Back