Aquascaping

I think i will be moving it sometimes, but i bought my first Stuff for my sw today. I got some Instant Oceam salt, an API test kit, a hydrometer. I already have about 50 lbs of substrate and 5 lbs of base rock...(they ran out...get more when i have more cash)

I like to drill a lot of holes in my rock that way I can use frag plugs with pegs that fit either egg grate lighting plastic or my rock and they work equally well to stick small pieces of plastic pipe in to hold the rocks steady. I have in the past drilled some holes clear through rocks and actually stacked rocks on to PVC pipe. It worked really well with dry base rocks but not real well with wet rocks. You had to pull the bit out and clear the hole while drilling in wet rock or the bit was near impossible to get out after a few inches depth. Carbonate reef rocks are genaerally soft and drill easily. Not so with morpesized carbonate rocks like marble, or even sedimentary carbonate rocks like limestone. They do however make good cheap reef rocks generally speaking.

Gee, I wonder what I wrote about stacking rocks on PVC pipe after drilling holes through them......I guess I will have to get that camera. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, maybe my replies will get shorter with photos.

Gee, I wonder what I wrote about stacking rocks on PVC pipe after drilling holes through them......I guess I will have to get that camera. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, maybe my replies will get shorter with photos.

probably get more attention to

:bounce: For anyone that is interested in those rocks shown being threaded onto the PVC pipe for the 550 gallon tank, they are available here.
http://www.mariculturetechnology.com/Rock.htm
Cheapest place I have found. This place actually supplies many places that are reselling it at prices of 5 to 10 times what it cost buying it at this very site.:^:

Next time I'm in the Florida Keys, I'm stopping along the side of the road and filling my trunk with a ton of rock. The keys are made of coral!

:bounce: For anyone that is interested in those rocks shown being threaded onto the PVC pipe for the 550 gallon tank, they are available here.
http://www.mariculturetechnology.com/Rock.htm
Cheapest place I have found. This place actually supplies many places that are reselling it at prices of 5 to 10 times what it cost buying it at this very site.:^:

Fatman, have you actually ordered from that site? The site does not have any good photos of the rock. And then when you click the link for more info it brings up an aol email address. Maybe they are ok, but I'd just like to see some photos from somebody that actually ordered from them.

Fatman, have you actually ordered from that site? The site does not have any good photos of the rock. And then when you click the link for more info it brings up an aol email address. Maybe they are ok, but I'd just like to see some photos from somebody that actually ordered from them.
I ordered and recieved 200 pounds of rock from them almost two years ago. I have yet to buy a camera though. I bought the cheaper of the two rocks just to see what I thought of the services and the rock. I recieved the rock by air freight, they delivered it to their nearest airport I picked it up from the only airport here in Fairbanks, Alaska. The freight bill was about $280 for 240 pounds. So either airlines scale was off or I got extra rock as the three boxes could not have weighed 40 poumds. Therefore my total cost was right at $380 for approxiamtely 200 pounds or more. I asked for mainly large rock and ended up having to break some as it was to large for a 120 gallon tank. It fit but it did not look good as it was to large. Volume wise it was easily equivalent to about the same volume of 300 pounds of Fiji rock. I have not tried to contact them since then but I will try and then get back to you.
Fatman

ok, thanks I'm looking for a place I can get some rock I can use to make some pillars out of and to do some pre-aquascaping with before I order a package from tampabay. I was looking at marco rock but seems lotta ppl on the net have been having issues with delays from them recently.

I just left a message on their telephone answering machine to call me back. I will give them a few hours to call back and if they have not I will call again. I do not know what their email address is.

I do not know what their email address is.

There's a link on the bottom of the rock page that says "For additional information" it fires up your email to send and email to:" [email protected] " . The aol address is what got me thinking maybe I should find somebody that actually has bought rock from them.

Last edited:
yep including me! :pissedof: ordered on the 1st of this month still no rock. he should be shipping lots around the 15th

My understanding is he gets shipments every so often and send them out. Sometimes they get delayed. However, I had great service from Marco and he had been up front about when to expect shipments.

The site in Florida is not able to get any more of the cheap base rock at this time and only has the more expensive worm rock. They sent me an email and called me this afternoon. The rock is even less dense than tuffa rock. I do not know how many people have seen pipe coral, but this rock is supposed to be a lot like pipe coral in appearance. Sorta like honey comb, only with round cells instead of hexagonal. The same weight of the worm rock is said to take up three at least times as much space as the same weight of Fiji rock. The pore space is allegedly many times greater than any natural live rock available. There is a chance though that it could behave more like bio balls. To get good shipping rates I need to order 100 pounds. I think I ill sleep on this one tonight and see what I think tomorrow about making an order.

It just barely fit into the tank. I told them I wanted two or three large rocks instead of a lot of smller rocks and I told them the size of my tank. They sent me what I asked for, but I was really not expecting just what I asked for. I was generalizing and they took me for being specific in my request. Hammer and chisel worked just fine though.

Back