Aquascaping

jarock

Reefing newb
I am going to take out most of my live rock and glue it together so it looks nicer. Also so i can put my corals in better spots. I have a lot of small pieces of live rock, what is the best way to glue them together, and what type of glue could I use that will be safe for my live rock and my fish/corals? Will i have much die off from keeping the rock out of the water for a short period of time? Also would it be enough to spike my tank? Would you recommend doing this all at once or little by little so it won't stress out my corals and fish?

If you're going to try and get everything to stay together, you can try two methods. 1. Using an epoxy to bond the rocks together. 2. Drilling holes into your rocks and using piping (usually PVC) to create your rock structures.
How much die off you have will really all depend on how long your rocks are out of the water. You will have some though, how much time do you consider a short period? If they're out of the water for long enough, it can cause a spike. It would be just the same as when you first set up your tank.

they would be out of the water 1 hour max i would say if the glue sticks fast way less,maybe 10 mins do they sell any at a hardware store ? Would that kind of a spike kill my corals and fish ?

If your rock is outta the water for an hour,its going to kill everything on the rocks surface including the bacteria.That would be enough to kick off a full blown cycle.
JMO.But I usually recommend that the rock are not glued or epoxied together.Reason being,your eventually going to have to move some rock around for one reason or another.It they are attached together,that can cause some problems.

I also wouldn't glue the rocks... You will end up needed to move them a lot. We all do! But if you insist, the epoxy will cure underwater. That's better than taking the rocks out.

yah i am wondering now if i should glue i might just move around, would you recommend moving if all the corals are doing very well and growing good though or would that perhaps screw there growing and health by moving them somewhere else sorry probably a dumb question ?

If everything is doing well, I would just leave it. If you want to move the corals -- just move the corals. Not the rocks they are on.

Back