AquaTop CF-400UV Canister Filter

AdamC

Reefing newb
I couldn't find any reviews on these, does anyone have one or know how well they work?

Also I am new to skimmers and am not sure of how they exactly work. If I was to get one rated for a 100 gallon for my 90 gallon, could i use that instead of a filter all together? I've been doing some research and our small business fish store told me I would still need one but from the research i've done thats not necessarily true.
Please help a guy out! lol :frustrat:

I am looking to replace my emperor 400's for something quieter and better working. I haven ever used anything but filters, no skimmers or pumps or filter cans. I would like to keep my solution under 150$.

Skimmers seem nice but maybe to expensive for a 90 gallon tank. A canister on the other hand seems cheaper and works better than a regular HOB filter.

I am just looking for some input from people that run these type of setups.

Thanks!

The item in your title isnt a skimmer, so I am not sure what you are looking at and I wouldnt run either the canister filter or a UV light on a saltwater tank.

You dont need a skimmer, but they are so helpful in bigger tanks that its a much better idea to have one. In little tanks you can get away with just doing water changes. Also the convention is to buy a skimmer that is rated for twice your system volume. They work by removing the dissolved organics from your water. They do this by bubbling up the film created by the DOs which is then collected in a cup. Using skimmer with enough live rock in your tank is all the filtering you need.

If you are trying to keep the price under $150, i would look for a used skimmer. Make sure you get a quality brand, cheap skimmer are exactly that - cheap. Some really good brands are reef octopus, bubble king, SWC.

Skimmer are also much cheaper in the long run. The canister filter media will trap particles, which can then rot and the smaller particles are then just washed back out into the main tank where they can then go to feed ugly and cyano. You will very quickly have a water quality issue preventing you from keeping some corals and inverts and keeping the tank free of uglies unless you change and clean the filter weekly. The cost will quickly rise and its major pain in the ass to do that.

I hope that helps!

Yes i am interested in both skimmers and canisters.

You wouldn't suggest using a canister filter on a saltwater tank at all?
Our local fish shop suggested using a canister filter they swore by the ones they use.

Thanks for clarification on the skimmer and exactly how big to go.

I wouldnt suggest one except to run in emergencies. LFS exist to sell you stuff, so if they sell you a filter that requires you to go back and buy more supplies, its a total win for them. Always take the advice of the LFS with a grain of salt because in the day they need to look out for their bottom line, not the health of your fish and tank.

Back