Are any of you as crazy/fanatic as I am?

Rob M

Reefing newb
Let me explain myself, I find myself looking at every little detal in my tank and getting worried over every little change. For example, the latest, I see 2 white dots on my fish and freak out thinking I have ich, I lose sleep over it, investigate the whole next day on what to do only to come home and see the dots have disappeared. Maybe, I just don't have that much experience yet or maybe I am reading why too much and just waiting for one of the many bad tings to happen. I hear a lot of people say you need to act quickly but patience is the game in this hobby. I guess I am just looking for reassurance that I am not alone?

lol... your not alone. Every time a coral doesn't open up like it usually does I go into panic mode. Like you, worry all night grab the test kits out and within 24 hours he is back to normal. Like you not as experienced as some others and learning to stop and not worry so much would be a good thing but I need to practice it more. lol

I generally don't get worried about ich, but the oodinium outbreak that claimed Morticia, Gomez and Jack really upset me. EVERYTHING else in that shipment is doing great, just those 3 and I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what went wrong and why so it NEVER happens again. I know Orange skunks and my nigripes ship poorly, but they arrived in great shape and ate. I wouldn't have been surprised if the nigripes broke with something, but the Orange skunks have me scratching my head and watching the rest like a hawk. 99% of the time ich will get taken out by filtre feeders and be gone, oodinium on the other hand is a bastard to deal with. So yes, I get antsy when I have a couple of boxes inbound from the far reaches of the world because I know it's a roll of the dice as to how they're going to arrive.

Urg keyboard keys are sticking, meant to say Ah, good to know that others worry about the same things I do. ;)

Unfortunately the worrying started from getting brooklynella in my tank the very first months in the hobby. Forced me to learn a lot very fast. Which brings me to the second thing that makes me crazy; the hundreds of opinions on what and how to do things in this hobby. But I do like learning from everyone's experiences and applying my own brain.

My husband is crazy about every thing in the tank. Every coral polyp, fish, etc
He gets out the reading glasses and goes investigating

Back