Arrow Crab

Ryan

Reefing newb
I found him in pieces tonight behind a rock in a hole. I got him out but you guys have any clue what killed him? I noticed that my clowns would pick on him if he had some food. Could they have killed my arrow crab?

What's your water quality like? Inverts are much more sensitive to water quality than fish.

Also, are you sure it didn't just molt?

I don't know. When I picked him out he fell apart. Do arrow crabs molt? Not sure on this. My hermit crab seems to be moving around a lot and my snails seem to be doing great. The last time I tested it was great and the salinity is perfect tonight.

Arrow crabs do molt. Was it just the hollow outer shell or were there guts inside? If it just fell apart, I'm guessing it molted and how he's hiding somewhere for a few days until his new shell strengthens.

OK, when I was looking at his head, it seemed very clear and hollow before I reached down and got him. I had to lift a rock out to get the parts of him but did it very gently but stirred a little sand up but not bad. You guys are thinking he's OK? I know it's hard to tell but from what I've told you? My wife thought she saw his blue claws laying in the sand too? Do they shed those as well?

Dang! Thanks Yote! That sure is weird. Now that you mention it, my friend told me about the molting too. He told me that I would think he had died. Kind of weird how they do this....

Everytime our shrimp molt I panic! (we have lost a shrimp before, so I get nervous easily I guess). Until I discover that the shrimp is just fine. :)

Back