Arrow crabs stealing each others legs?!!!?

dkonni

Reefing newb
I have a 55 gal. with plenty of Live fiji rock. I recently put 2 Arrow crabs in there assuming they would have enough room to safely coexist. I went to feed the tank today and noticed one crab had just stolen the other arrow crabs leg. Both arrows have their pinchers..one has 6 legs and the other has 5...it seems as if they have been at it before. Would you recommend taking one of the Arrows out or just let them grow back when they molt and they will stay out of each others way?

I heard they can coexist but only if they have enough Rock to move around ...It was weird because I saw one of the arrows shoot half way across the tank only to tangle with the other and steal his leg- so it seems as if he had intentions of revenge.

I have two together now that live peacefully, but that has not always been the case. I had two before and one very aggressively chased the other one and attacked it and fought it until it died. Maybe they were the same sex? Don't know. If they are fighting one will probably kill the other one.

in a small tank they will kill each other along with other things in your tank they can become very agressive i had one that killed my snail hermits and a firefish

yep if they are both the same sex they will usually fight to the death. I would remove one of them, its a 50/50 shot on them attacking other animals.

Yeah they have a bad reputation of being aggressive towards any other animals -- even catching and eating fish.

Plus they are creepy as hell.

Back