Astrea Snails PITA

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
These damn Astrea snails are more of a pain in the ass than they're worth. I got 1/2 dozen when I got some cleaning crew. Not knowing much about them, I googled them when i got home..

If they fall off a rock, and land upside down they can't right themselves. So now everytime I move a rock around I've gotta spend the following 15 minutes looking for upside down snails. And there are always 3 or 4.

These things must be the John and Kate + Eight of the ocean, how they ever managed to survive eveolution I'll never know.

Damn you little snails.!!

They never evolved the ability to turn over if they land on their back. The reason for this is because they live on the reef and usually if they fall, there's enough rocks or whatever so they can just reach out and grab something with their foot. Remember, our tanks are NOT a natural environment for these snails.

Most of the snails we put in our tanks are from deep water where the temp rarely goes over 65F and is USUALLY closer to 55F - 60F. Yes, we are slowly boiling them in our tanks.

I'm about to speed up the boiling!!:frustrat: JK. I think I'm going to take them back to the LFS, not that I'm going to get any credit for them, I just don't like to see anything die by my hands, unless it's in season.

Or I guess I could just stop putting my hands in the tank. hmmm.

They are truly a PITA for me. They crawl up and over to the outside of my tank where the water flows onto the snail. Because of the shape of them the water trickles over them and over the trough (where it's supposed to go) and onto the floor.

They are truly a PITA for me. They crawl up and over to the outside of my tank where the water flows onto the snail. Because of the shape of them the water trickles over them and over the trough (where it's supposed to go) and onto the floor.

DOH!! :frustrat:

Thats gotta suck. When are you having them for dinner? :mrgreen:

I don't mind the astrea snails. It's those extra stupid nerite snails that sucks. I bought 25 from the LFS and I have 2 left. Every day would have to pick them up off the floor. How dumb are they to climb out of the water and fall out of the tank? They also can't flip themselves over if they're out of reach of LR or the glass. On the plus side, my hermits have lots of new shells.

I have a few snails that randomly die and then some old soldiers who've been in there since the beginning.

My new snail development is that I have some tiny ones the size of a bacon bit that have recently appeared and must have been born in the tank because I haven't added jack in a long time.

Back