At a loss..

Markiis

Reefing newb
I have no equipment yet, not real sure on where to start. Should I go down to my lfs and pick up a tank? skimmer? I know i want to start a reef system around 100g. help me out :)

I have no equipment yet, not real sure on where to start. Should I go down to my lfs and pick up a tank? skimmer? I know i want to start a reef system around 100g. help me out :)

My advice is read up on everything all you can before spending money. Get yourself as informed as possible so that you know what you want to accomplish. This way you dont waste money on things you wont need like a canister filter, wrong lighting, etc. which are mistakes most people make when they get into the hobby.

to answer your question, yes you should definitely get a skimmer but i recommend checking out craigslist first for a tank as you can find some amazing deals. Your LFS will probably be expensive. Im sure others will give you more detailed answer on where to buy what.

Good luck.

Also, set a budget for it and double it. Buy quality equipment the first time and buy it over sized because you will up grade. I know what your thinking at this moment, but trust me you will up grade. Also, buy the best lights you can afford. look for used stuff on ebay and CL or local reef forums. They have great deals and sometimes people will donate to a new reefer.

Things you'll need:
Tank
Skimmer
Heater
Lights
Sump
Return Pump
Plumbing parts
Test kits
Salt
Live rock
Sand

ya thay are right realy look into it and buy the best you can get becouse you will be mad when you rebuy stuff or buy stuff you dont need. but i think tank and stand first, decide how u wana do it first ie. drilled for sump what size ect

to answer your question, yes you should definitely get a skimmer but i recommend checking out craigslist first for a tank as you can find some amazing deals. Your LFS will probably be expensive. Im sure others will give you more detailed answer on where to buy what.

I agree....Craigslist has awesome deals on tanks....make sure to check for leaks!!!! I did buy a 100g from someone for $25...turned out it has a leak...but it's ok..it's just $25 and the leak (once I find it) should be fixable.

But you have to be quick to respond in Craigslist, especially for the better deals.

I bought my skimmer used from the LFS. It was a pain to setup due to the brand, but it's working out great for me. Paid $30, plus of course $60 for a new pump for it. It's a $200 skimmer.

Definitely research the cost first. If you skimp, you're liable to lose a lot of money in dead livestock and replacing cheap equipment.

This site will be your best friend :) Everyone here will give you lots of great advice. Everyone is patient, even if it's something we've all answered a hundred times.

I think everyone has you covered. The only thing i can say is do alot of reading and ask alot of questions! No question is a dumb question. I have come to realize that this forum is the best way to learn. Everyone on here is nice and will give you alot of advise before making the wrong purchase, also save you some money!

There's nothing worse than having to buy the same piece of equipment three times because you realize that the first two times you wasted your money on pieces of crap instead of spending the time to research the good quality brands and only spending that money once.

thank you all for the great advice ... well the first thing i invested in was a book.. im glad i took that route, geting the idea of how everything works :D I have been checking craigslist waiting for a deal to pop up

thank you all for the great advice ... well the first thing i invested in was a book.. im glad i took that route, geting the idea of how everything works :D I have been checking craigslist waiting for a deal to pop up

That's what I did; got a book from my brothers girlfriend as an early Christmas present.
Craigslist and Ebay are littered with stupidly amazing deals, especially now with the teribad economy, people are leaving the hobby.

One mans trash is another mans treasure, right?

Back