ATO idea.

slm32123

Reefing newb
Hey guys I am trying to think of a way to set up and ATO very inexpensively.

My father's and my original idea was to set it up directly hooked up to the RO/DI filter. By having a tube from the filter to a refrigerator ice maker valve (so it will open and close with a signal from the controller.) and then continuing into my fuge. However I have been reading that it is bad for the membranes, as well as can cause a huge problem with flooding if the float switch fails.

My new idea is to manually turn on my filter to fill my 20g brute can like always. And pump the water from there into the fuge. The problem I am coming into is, I just purchased 50 feet of 1/4 in tubing to do the first plan, and I dont think an aqualifter would be able to pump about 28 feet of distance to the tank. Not to mention my ro/di is in the basement and the tank is upstairs.

so my question is, which would be the cheaper option. and if its the first option, what kinds of fail-safes can i incorporate?

Awesome. So all I would have to do is install it per their instructions, and then mount the float valve in my fuge? Do float valves ever fail?

Yes they can fail. Salt can build up on them preventing them from doing what they are supposed to. You can clean it off with RO water to help prevent that.

I actually just got my ATO kit in the mail on friday to build a reservoir to hold my RO water. Just haven't built it yet.

I'm using an aqua lifter & tubing as an ATO right now. I measured the amount of evap that I had in 24 hrs, then timed the aqua lifter to see exactly how long it would that to move the measured amount of water. I then placed it on a digital timer. I have the tube placed in 30 gal container consealed behind my sofa console & the other tube hanging over my sump. I've been doing this for the past year with no problems. Just keep in mind that you have a different evap rate when the seasons change. I just dont adjust the timer b/c 1.5 gallons (winter) to 2 gallons (summer) doesnt change the salinity in a 150 gallon. All I ever need do is refill the container every two weeks.

Back