Ato

I run the Tunze on my 120, and the jbj on my frag system. The Tunze is far and away the best unit.

The float switch on my JBJ actually stuck last night. 5 gallons of extra RO/DI dumped into the sump :frustrat:

Luckily, this is on my frag tank, which is why I have the Tunze on the main display.

I use the JBJ myself, after putting off an ATO for a long time. I wish I had installed one sooner. I know the float switches can fail, but I check my sump at least once a day, and so far I haven'[t had any issues

Mounting the second switch upside down as a fail safe is a good idea. I'll have to look into that

This brings up an interesting thought.

My ATO holds 5 gallons. My total system is 124 gallons including sump. There is more than enough room in my sump if the sensors failed and pumped all 5 gallons of RODI into the system. How much would this effect the salinity if, on the off chance my ATO failed, all 5 gallons ended up in the sump? Would it be enough of a change to wipe out my tank?

This brings up an interesting thought.

My ATO holds 5 gallons. My total system is 124 gallons including sump. There is more than enough room in my sump if the sensors failed and pumped all 5 gallons of RODI into the system. How much would this effect the salinity if, on the off chance my ATO failed, all 5 gallons ended up in the sump? Would it be enough of a change to wipe out my tank?

My 90 gallon tank used to lose up to 5 gallons a day to evaporation. I didn't have an ATO, so I'd add the 5 gallons of freshwater at one time. So in your situation, I think it'd barely make a dent in your salinity.

The one frag tank is only 20 gallons, so the extra 5 brought the salinity down to 1.022.

On my 120 I have a 20 gallon reservoir for my ATO, but that I have no worries about.

Back