ATS in Rubbermaid w/ gravity feed

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by felixfish, May 1, 2012.

1. felixfish

felixfish newbie reefer

I used to have just an algae turf scrubber in my closed system sump (no baffles). It was not clean and was thankfully nudged into re-doing my sump into something better. I have recently added a new skimmer, bubble trap and refugium (6"DSB+LR). So I wanted to add that extra bit of filtration and still incorporate my ATS. So I attempted searching the web for ideas on how to add my ATS into my set up. I only had the 350GPH pump from my previous ATS set up, so I used the same trusty kitty condo next to my sump I currently use for my gravity fed ATO. Luckily we have a furnace room behind my tank so after a debate, breakfast, lunch, and dinner I was able to cut holes into the wall :bounce:

Anyways, I used this rubbermaid container from lowes, some left over 1" spa flex tubing, and a 1" slip bulk head I picked up from my LFS. At first I attempted to try this elbow fitting for a drain and 3/4" braided tubing, but it was not draining as best as I wanted to I went back to the drawing board and came up with this.

[​IMG]

from the top. I cut out where the ATS piping and screen. I thought I would have to zip tie it in place, but ended up not having to.
    [​IMG]

After a day of it running there was quite a bit of condensation building up inside the tote, so I cut out a few breathing holes for this reason.
    [​IMG]

Here is a view of my revamped sump. Last time I attempted making baffles they broke free. This time, I took the extra time and siliconed each baffle twice.
    [​IMG]

And here is where my sump is in relation to the main display.
    [​IMG]

So here is another DIY thread for anyone frivolously searching for a ATS in a rubbermaid tote. I'll post the progress of algae growth over the next few weeks.:mrgreen:

felixfish, May 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. felixfish

little_fish Moderator

I really dont think its a good idea to keep the lights in the tub like you have. I think that is just asking for electrical problems.

little_fish, May 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. felixfish

felixfish newbie reefer

You think enough light would still get to the screen if I clip them on top of the tub?

felixfish, May 1, 2012
  4. felixfish

little_fish Moderator

yes, and you can burn the algae if you put the light too close anyways

little_fish, May 1, 2012
    felixfish likes this.
  5. felixfish

felixfish newbie reefer

Here is the fix. Thanks for your help!
    [​IMG]

felixfish, May 1, 2012
  6. felixfish

little_fish Moderator

That looks much better and the lights are at a proper distance from the scrubber as well

little_fish, May 1, 2012
  7. felixfish

felixfish newbie reefer

Great! I used a new screen and scuffed it up better than the first generation. Hopefully I will get some better growth. Thanks again little_fish!

felixfish, May 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question