auto to off

Yep :) Bought 3 new floatswitches from ebay (vendor was from China, I believe). Cost all of $7 total. Been using it for maybe a year and a half now. That bracket is nice, though. MIght have to make something similar.

Float switch, extension cord, and housing. I didn't want to stick it to my sump -- so we used this large PVC to hold it. The hole is to let water in to weigh it down. I also put in rubble in there. Then tied to the base for stability. My housing is bulky, of course, but works great, and it used materials I already had lying around.

DSC04760.jpg

The float switch is removable.
DSC04761.jpg

Thanks guys,the guy from one of my lfs said that its not safe.for me to buy the auto top off.buy I think he want me to buy the auto top off.it was like $100.

I think if you put more than one float sensor (just in case 1 fails) and do the electric work safely (waterproof splices and drip loop them) I don't see what is unsafe about them.

Many members on this forum use them with no problems. I just finished mine yesterday and it is working like a champ. It only has one float sensor for now but I plan on putting another in.

Thanks guys,the guy from one of my lfs said that its not safe.for me to buy the auto top off.buy I think he want me to buy the auto top off.it was like $100.

:shock: That doesn't make sense..he says it's not safe but wants you to buy his?

I don't see what is unsafe about them.

Many members on this forum use them with no problems. I just finished mine yesterday and it is working like a champ. It only has one float sensor for now but I plan on putting another in.

They are safe...but you still have to check in on them at least once a day, as well as any tank equipment. My first ATO float switch actually failed -- shorted out -- but that was after having used it a year, and after it had been through many many flickering power issues and power outages over time. Good thing I had a couple of backup replacement floatswitches :) Anything in the tank can fail at any time, even gravity-fed ATO's (the valve can get stuck). Luckily the pump was slow, and only a little water overflowed, and my salinity did not go down too much.

I'm confused by your comments. Float valves are water sealed and the wires to your extension cord are out of water and should be installed in a waterproof fashion and drip looped.

Its sounding to me that this guy is feeding you false information to get you to buy his. The answer to your original question is that you should research the proper way to build a DYI top off and it is safe and should be checked on regularly like the rest of your equipment. And yes, its optimal to have 2 float valves as a fail-safe.

Any tank equipment can cause stray voltage. But since it's the sump, and I have a grounding probe in there, any small stray voltage dissipates anyway. You just have to be sure you do as tritan says, make sure it's installed properly. The wires of mine go upwards, to an outlet way above the sump, so there's no chance of anything dripping along the wire anyway.

Any tank equipment can cause stray voltage. But since it's the sump, and I have a grounding probe in there, any small stray voltage dissipates anyway. You just have to be sure you do as tritan says, make sure it's installed properly. The wires of mine go upwards, to an outlet way above the sump, so there's no chance of anything dripping along the wire anyway.

In case you didn't see it in the other thread. A grounding probe is not a cure all and can actually be dangerous, because it creates current. Just wanted to point this out to you since it comes up a lot.

Aquarium Grounding Probes

In case you didn't see it in the other thread. A grounding probe is not a cure all and can actually be dangerous, because it creates current. Just wanted to point this out to you since it comes up a lot.

Aquarium Grounding Probes

Of course it's not a cure, but at least it will help. You will always have a little stray voltage that's within acceptable ranges. But imagine if you didn't have a grounding probe at all. Your fish could be getting zapped a lot more than if you didn't have one.

The real cure is tracking down what's causing the strays. Almost everytime I change out my skimmer cup, I take out my grounding probe, and do check for stray voltage. I leave very little to chance with my tank. I have invested hard earned money on my livestock to risk them dying from something I could prevent.

Back