Baby Clowns!

beancntr

Back into Salt
I feel so complete! Like I'm a "real reefer" now! My lights came in yesterday. Yote - Thank you, they are awesome lights! And I FINALLY got my little clowns. Everything is doing well. I found all three crabs hale and hearty this morning, the Goby (we've named him Walter) is still in hiding, but I can usually find him and the chromies are still good, although they are not my favorite fish in the tank. My clowns have taken the side of the tank closest to my chair, so I can see them all the time. I watch my tank more than I watch tv - and they are in the same room! :bounce:

How many inches of fish can I keep in my tank? I've heard 1 inch per gallon and I've heard 2 inches per gallon. Do clean up crew account for inches as well? I'd like to add a couple of tangs, a star and probably two anenomes eventually. I haven't decided about coral yet. I'm willing to give up the chromies. :D Any takers?

Beanctr,

if I am not mistaking, I beleive I heard Bobby say that it is 1" of fish per 5 gallons. But I may be wrong on that one...

What kind of clown did you get? Clowns are the cutest fish ever!!!! I absolutely love my 2 clowns! Well, Enjoy!!! I think I am the same way as you.. i probably spend more time starring at my tank than i watch tv!!

Good luck with everythin:^: :bounce: :sfish: :mrgreen: g!!

you dont have to give up the chromis' they are peaceful and a nice addition to a reef tank. Any where between 1-2 in per gal is good cleaner crew is not a factor in this timtable careful what tangs you go with 72 may not be enough. The goby will hide its in his nature.

Jelly, I know I don't have to, they just weren't in the original plan. LOL I guess they have a sentimentality to them now, being the first.

IMO the inch per gal is a bad rule, there are several fish exspeacialy tangs that dont fit that rule. There are tangs that will be ok in your tank, but I would go with just one. Some tangs that will go good in your system are the kole tang, yellow tang, scopas tang, convict tang, and bristletooth tomini tang. Since you bought the high dollar lights you might as well use them and put corals in there, a FOWLR doesnt need the big lights, with a FOWLR you can use the regular strip lights, just my opinion though. Good luck and keep us posted.

I knew I wanted anenomes, and originally thought about coral, which is why i got the lights. I will probably do coral, just because it's always nice to see something new in the tank!!

Yea you could go just anemone, I thought you just got the lights for fish and was think WOW thats alot of money for lights just for fish. I would start with easy to keep corals and make sure you can care for them before you try anemones, Also that will give the tank time to mature and get you used to keeping the water quality at good levels.

On a side note bean
Be careful of how long you run your new lights.If you start right off running them 9 to 10 hours you'll end up with green water.
I would suggest starting the lights at about 6 to 7 hours a day and building up from there.

beancntr said:
I feel so complete! Like I'm a "real reefer" now! My lights came in yesterday. Yote - Thank you, they are awesome lights! And I FINALLY got my little clowns. Everything is doing well. I found all three crabs hale and hearty this morning, the Goby (we've named him Walter) is still in hiding, but I can usually find him and the chromies are still good, although they are not my favorite fish in the tank. My clowns have taken the side of the tank closest to my chair, so I can see them all the time. I watch my tank more than I watch tv - and they are in the same room! :bounce:

How many inches of fish can I keep in my tank? I've heard 1 inch per gallon and I've heard 2 inches per gallon. Do clean up crew account for inches as well? I'd like to add a couple of tangs, a star and probably two anenomes eventually. I haven't decided about coral yet. I'm willing to give up the chromies. :D Any takers?

Bean I would go with coral if your looking for something for your clowns to host.Tangs.....hum.....I never had a tang..always thought they grew to large for my tank(75 gal).If you get any,maybe like what bobby said just one.
Its hard to go by that 1 inch per no. of gallon rule.One's person system can handle a large bioload while another can't.I'm a minimalistic when it came to fish.My 72gal. had 2 Maroons,Madarin Dragonet and a Banggai Cardinal,that was it for fish.

Good luck Bean,
Dominick

And my 55 gallon (plus 20 gallon sump) has 13 fish... So more important than xx-inches per xx-gallon is how high of a bioload your filtration system can handle.

Back