baby starfish in my tank

Nimboli12

Reefee
I noticed a couple of weeks ago these tiny littel starfish no bigger than the head of pencil eraser tip on the walls of my tank. I now have a Brittle Star fish. Quite a while ago I have a Choc. Chip Star that got too big so I sold it. Then I had a Sandshifter or Sandsifter Star. I gave it back to the person that gave it to me.

One of the baby stars has grown a little. I can barely see the design on its back. It looks like a Choc. Chip star. There are MANY of these little stars on my tank walls and have seen them on my live rock.

Don't know how Choc Chip stars multiply, how to tell between a male and female. Liveaquaria I believe is a little vague on how they multiply.

I will try to send a good pic of these guys.

What are these stars you're talking about and how do they get into a tank. Are they a parasite? Do they come in on bought live rock or what?

Here's some info.
Typically harmless in small numbers, but can get out of control.
The bright side is that it could be an excuse to get a harlequin shrimp. ;)
Reefkeeping Magazine - Reefkeeping 101

84.jpg

I'm not a fan of them. The tiny white ones were pretty harmless. More annoying than anything. But some of mine grew to the size of a dime and turned a brownish color. They were destructive and liked to chew on softies. Here was my answer to the stars, a harlequin that my daughter named Spots.

IMAG0293 - Copy by SaltyDawg_2009, on Flickr

ugh imho they're a pain. I've been relatively lucky since we transferred to the 90g, but if they start popping up again I'm getting a shrimp.

Back