Bad Carpet Aneome!!!

ErYn

Reefing newb
well i had a not so pleasant experience with my carpet aneome this weekend! it ate my yellow tang!!!!! :grumble: i came home from work on friday, to find my tang missing!! and i have a fully enclosed lid except where my filter hangs on the back.. and i knew he couldnt have jumped out there, but i looked everywhere! he just wasnt there, and i suspected my carpet but it just sat there fat and happy looking.. so about 3 or 4 hours later, i noticed it was all scrunched up, and it was trying to spit out my tang!! so i really didnt know what to do at that point, it looked like my aneome had bit off more than he could chew.. soo not knowing what i should do, i removed my tang from the aneome, because i was afraid it was too big for the aneome. i was really gentle, and it came right out.. and my aneome is doing just fine now... yeah now that he ate my freeken tang!!!!! so all i have left in my tank now, (fish wise) is my clown and my damsel... i'm a little worried that if i add more fish, that the aneome is just going to eat them too..?.. but now i really want to add more fish, do you think i should remove it from my tank, or just not add any more fish??? please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Hmm tuff decision.It might not be the anemone trying to get a snack just the tang lingered and got stung.This could have paralyzed the tang.How long have you had the tang? It could also be it was sick and dieing.

i bought the tank fully set up and stocked.. so i'm not sure how long they had the fish i would assume a while... i've had the tank now a couple months, and my tang hasnt shown any signs of being any kind of sick, and that morning he was perfectly fine.. but who knows, i just dont want to get rid of my carpet aneome, hes really cool!! so i'm thinking i might just set up my empty 45g, as soon as i feel comfortable setting up a tank from scratch.. and possibly put him in that tank with some clowns.. but i dunno yet... but the carpet aneome is like really stuck to the bottom of the tank, how can i get it to come off the bottom with out hurting it????

You can surely set up another tank for the anemone, but i would suggest you at least consider leaving the anemone where it is and use the new set up for other things, otherwise you will have to acclimate the anemone all over again and who knows how the anemone will react. to disloge it you just have to pry it with something that you can put under the edge of the foot and just keep a slight pressure on it and it will come up eventually. do not damage the foot in any way and be carefull not to pry too hard. personally i'd leave the anemone along and work around it. just my 2 cents worth.

You will also need to let your new tank sit for several months before moving the anemone, I would leave it and move the fish. Once you get an anemone to thrive in captivity I wouldn't mess with it. OR you could buy more tangs for the anemone to eat, fresh meat! :)

well i guess if i had the money to feed my carpet aneome tangs, then i would!!! however... since i dont have the money.. he'll have to do with out anymore fresh tang meat!! also i was wondering, if my cleaner shrimp is safe around my aneome, because he's pretty small.. i dont want him to be lunch too!!

if the shrimp gets stung by the anemone it will be a nice desert, but, dont worry, just let nature take its course and enjoy your system. good luck

Back