Bad temperature issues.

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
So since the summer weather has been hitting, I've seen HUGE spikes in temp. The middle of the night is usually around 78 and while the halides have been on for 5 hours or so it spikes to around 84.

It was much worse at about 80-86 before I got a small clip-on fan that runs all day. But it didn't do as much as I thought it would. First time I noticed it was because my SPS was all shriveled so I'm guessing that's a really bad sign. They've been doing okay and opening up since I put the fan there but at 84 degrees I'm definetly still worried. I can't afford a chiller nor does the size of my system merit one.

What can I do? I don't mind something that requires daily supervision.

A bigger or more fans may help. And I know some who have used frozen ziploc bags and float them in the sump. I'll have to do one or both of these I'm sure soon as the weather here in AZ is getting ready to suck.

I may get a friend to hang up a door in this office/computer room so I can run an air conditioner in here without it just blowing everywhere. If I set the AC on a timer for like 2-3 hours a day would that do the trick? This room is literally 5x10 feet

An air conditioned room along with a couple of fans would be your best bet. What is your room temperature averaging during the day? If you can maintain no more than 84* you'd be okay, but 78* at night would be too much of a swing. You want to keep it within 1-2 degrees if possible. Of course that means that if you start at say 83* in the morning by 2-3pm you'd probably be well over 84*

Air condition or a chiller is going to be required it seems.

I really don't know what my office temperature is but my room is the only one that has a decent air conditioner.

Really it's a matter of room temp right? If I can keep this tiny room at an acceptable temp then I should be in good shape?
How in the world do you guys get by in AZ with your 100+ temps when I can't freaking handle anything above 80 degrees? This is absolutely awful and it's why I want to live in New England.

Really it's a matter of room temp right? If I can keep this tiny room at an acceptable temp then I should be in good shape? .

I think so!

In Tucson where I'm at, I have to leave the a/c on 72*-74* or else my tank (Zero Edge) will get too hot during the day. I am lucky because I have a lot of water surface with the top and all four sides so I manage to keep it under 80* without even using a fan. My Red Sea Max is a closed lid system and I have to use a chiller on it or it over heats even though there are cooling fans in the top enclosure.

I may get a friend to hang up a door in this office/computer room so I can run an air conditioner in here without it just blowing everywhere. If I set the AC on a timer for like 2-3 hours a day would that do the trick? This room is literally 5x10 feet

I guess that would depend on the size of the room, the size of the tank, and how hot it is outside. You'd have to check and see how long it takes the air conditioner to drop the temp in the room, and then check how long it takes the tank temp to start raising back up after the AC is turned off....I assume we're talking about a small window type AC unit....I wonder if they make one that has a temp control on it?, something like if it gets to 72 the AC turns off, if it gets to 78 AC turns back on.

How in the world do you guys get by in AZ with your 100+ temps when I can't freaking handle anything above 80 degrees? This is absolutely awful and it's why I want to live in New England.

Basically, for 8 months out of the year, we have to run central air 24/7.

In my previous house, my electric bill was aroune $500 a month. Energy costs SUCK out here. Even if our state was using renewable energy, the utility companies know they can gouge us. It's not like you can live without cooling in Arizona, so you have no choice but to pay their high rates.

$83?????? sheesh! In winter we pay around $200...but by summer, we're paying $300-350. Still nothing compared to Biff's :shock:

i run two clip on fans day and night on my sump they blow directly on the water and it keeps my tank at 80 or below. and i also keep my house at 70 year round.

500 for eletric that is crazy right now i think mine is about 100 a month

I have a portable a/c unit that I run once temps approach 75 here, because the weather is very unpredictable and can spike to the 100s with no warning. my portable a/c unit just has a vent and inlet that go in a window or sliding door, and both models that I've owned had a thermostat so when it gets to about 70, the unit turns off. mine is not close to my tank though-- I prefer to keep the whole room cool but not have the a/c unit close enough to the tank to cause massive temp swings.

Back